• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

New Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
#1
Pace makers are being used to treat depression. Over 6 years 200 people were treated by having wires connected to a pace maker that sends charges to the area of the brain that professionals believe causes depression. I believe the number of subjects that are responding positively is 67%. The other 33% did not respond or saw no change in their mental health. 4 of the subjects committed suicide. This treatment was offered after all others had failed or the depression was considered extreme or chronic.

With those numbers, if it were available to you, would you take the pacemaker treatment?
 

aoeu

Well-Known Member
#3
If I was in a permanent depression phase, certainly. I can't imagine it'll be widely offered given that it involves neurosurgery, though :(
 

IV2010

Well-Known Member
#6
Interesting but a no-no for me...
I've had too many operations in my life and can't take anymore..
good for others to know about this new treatment though..
 

Lovecraft

Well-Known Member
#8
Pace makers are being used to treat depression. Over 6 years 200 people were treated by having wires connected to a pace maker that sends charges to the area of the brain that professionals believe causes depression. I believe the number of subjects that are responding positively is 67%. The other 33% did not respond or saw no change in their mental health. 4 of the subjects committed suicide. This treatment was offered after all others had failed or the depression was considered extreme or chronic.

With those numbers, if it were available to you, would you take the pacemaker treatment?
Yes. The principles of electrically stimulating the brain for emotional response has been around decades, it's really time they tried this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$205.00
Goal
$255.00
Top