New Treatment

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by itmahanh, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Pace makers are being used to treat depression. Over 6 years 200 people were treated by having wires connected to a pace maker that sends charges to the area of the brain that professionals believe causes depression. I believe the number of subjects that are responding positively is 67%. The other 33% did not respond or saw no change in their mental health. 4 of the subjects committed suicide. This treatment was offered after all others had failed or the depression was considered extreme or chronic.

With those numbers, if it were available to you, would you take the pacemaker treatment?

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Uh, hell no. I'd rather do a suicide first.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If I was in a permanent depression phase, certainly. I can't imagine it'll be widely offered given that it involves neurosurgery, though :(

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

really interesting i think i would take it.

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I just heard of someone who had the surgery, and I am awaiting the findings...I will post once I know more...J

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

Interesting but a no-no for me...
    I've had too many operations in my life and can't take anymore..
    good for others to know about this new treatment though..

7. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Yes. The principles of electrically stimulating the brain for emotional response has been around decades, it's really time they tried this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.