Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Beautiful.Disaster, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beautiful.Disaster

Beautiful.Disaster New Member

Depression runs in my family, and until I got into college I just thought I was in a rut, but now I'm sure it's depression. I haven't told any that I suspect this because I don't want to bring the topic up to people out of fear of what they may or may not say; as well as think.
    I've lost interested in things I use to really enjoy, I never want to do much or go out, I'm sleepy most of the day no matter how many hours of sleep I got the night before, and I feel alone and abandoned alot, to the point where I'm sick of how my life is. I haven't been able to shake this feeling.

I'm hoping that I can get some good advice on how to improve my mood, and talk to other people who have similar issues and emotions as I do.
  2. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Have you just started college? My depression came about when I first started college four years ago, I am almost finished with college now but unfortunately, I have still not sought help for my depression so it is still here and festering and getting worse. It seems to get worse as college starts and the summer/winter break ends. My college just started this week and I am feeling more depressed than usual, while everyone else is so happy, I feel so alienated and left out.

You might feel bad because college is supposed to be the best time of your life, I still feel very bad with so many people having fun and me being all depressed and isolated for four years now. But there are a lot of people in college who become depressed, many on this forum, so you are far from alone. And there are so many that hide their depression, just like I have from most people except my immediate family so you may never know if you are alone or there's something right next to you that feels the same way you do!

I hope you won't end up like me, I hope that you can go and seek some counseling, some professional help. There is a very slim chance, if any, that it will just go away by itself, that you can just shake it off, I wouldn't count on that.

The tricky thing is your depression may tell you that getting help is a waste of time, because that is how I feel. I feel that I am so messed up and inferior that it is just a waste of time for me to seek counseling and that I'm going to commit suicide eventually anyways, and so I've let this depression keep eating away at me and making my life worse, preventing me from making significant progress in my life, making me underdeveloped and behind my peers and that makes my depression worse and worse. :(

So I hope that if your depression has just started, you please seek help as soon as possible. It will most likely not go away by itself and will most likely only get worse as time goes on, just like a physical disease like cancer. Sorry if my post seems like a downer, I wish the best luck to you! :)
  3. Beautiful.Disaster

I'm in my second year of college. I have been making myself get out and do things even when I don't feel up to it, and that is helping me, but the feelings never fail at coming back.
    Your post may be a downer, but it's what I need to hear. People who have dealt with depression longer than I have so I can get ideas on what can help me. I plan to see a counselor at my school in the near future, after getting settled in.
  4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Haha, now I feel a bit bad, I guess I can be the guy which people can feel better about themselves and say "At least I'm not as in bad-shape as HE is". :unsure:

But its really my fault for still not having sought help and just sitting idle and letting things get worse. :sad:

I hope you can seek out help as soon as possible, don't be afraid, don't be shy, there's a lot of people out there like you, don't feel like you are the only one, you are never alone!
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

The best help for depression is one getting professional help talk therapy meds and then exercise. Exercise changes the chemicals in the brain it is the best thing to increase the level of chemicals needed to keep depression at bay. Try going for walks swimming is great. work out biking, dancing keep active. Do things that bring you enjoyment like watching kids play listening to your favorite music. Eating foods that you enjoy preferably healthy ones.
    I hope you talk with professional okay because if depression runs if your family then you may need some medication to help as well. Take care and have fun in college not all work try join some activities within college so can meet up with new people. take care
  6. Beautiful.Disaster

Ah, no. I didn't mean for it to sound like that, lol. Just that even though you said your post was a downer, because of your experience with depression compared to mine, it's informative to hear.
    Thanks for replying, I'm going to take your and other people's advice.
  7. Beautiful.Disaster

Thanks, I plan on heading to my school's gym sometime soon with my roommate, and I will see what a professional has to say before going on medication, because I don't want to go to the as a first resort.
    Thanks again.
  8. lost43215

lost43215 Well-Known Member

Exactly... see what options are there, you may not even have to go on meds, which would be great :)

Like Rahul said, it's definately better to get at it b4 it progresses too far... not to say there isnt hope if it does, just wayyy easier to get out of it b4 it consumes you. If you continue on the path you were on, you'll just end up being more and more secluded and therefore more and more sad, and it's just an endless cycle until you do something you'd regret. Definately forcing yourself to get out as you said is a good thing. I mean for me I still get into my depressed times, but just forcing myself to get out there and be social kinda snaps my mind out of being depressed, even for a bit, but at least I didnt let it keep going and get more sad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.