Newly diagnosed with RA

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Just wanted to wish you and your brother well for your respective scans, and hope they yield favourable results.

I'm not sure exactly what meds you're on, but I'd be a bit cautious taking them with milk. The reason being is that there's the possibility of the calcium in the milk binding with your meds and so reducing the amount available for absorption and hence getting less than the desired dose.
You've probly been advised on taking the meds with or just after food to minimise an upset stomach, and I was also wondering if you have been given a med to protect your stomach from thes drug induced irritations?
It might also be prudent to have a chat with your doctor if the upset stomach is debilitating, if you've been given folic acid, the dose may need adjusting or another med can be addd to help settle things down.

Also, you mentioning about feeling shattered, DMARDs can effect the blood cells and maybe the tiredness could be reflected in this. If you've got any appoinments for blood tests lined up, then it should be picked up, but again it would be worth mentioning this to your doctor if you can.

Pennylane-

Thank you Ash :)

I don't eat regularly I'm afraid, and it was really effecting me taking my tablets I'm on 200 mg Quinoric twice a day and 7.5 Meloxicam twice a day I don't get hungry until around 1pm and then as I'm usually at work I just graze and the tablets were sending me pretty much to the loo straight away.

I've always had trouble with Anemia, I've had no follow up appointments with my doc at all, I think at my surgery it's a case of he who shouts loudest gets heard, and other than when I was initially prescribed the medication, I haven't contacted them.

On another note, isn't the stop smoking service great? A major plus in giving up for me is saving money and when I was buying my own Vapes, gum, patches, it ended up being quite expensive, and they are so eager to help too :)

I have however not slept well for three nights now, nightmares and anxiety dreams, I don't think I'm sleeping deeply as I've started to be able to alter the course of my dreams as soon as I realise that's what they are.

Sorry to hear about Liverpool last night, my bro was gutted.

Is your op anywhere on the near horizon yet?

Best wishes

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Both those meds can unfortunately affect the stomach, so it could be a combined side effect you're experiencing, PennyL. I've probably already mentioned this before, but as you're on Meloxicam long term, you should have been given a PPI med such as lansoprazole to help protect your stomach from side effects such as these.
Even if you eat a biscuit or slice of toast with your meds, that could help. Taking antacids may help to but be sure to leave at least a 4 hr gap after taking your Quinoric tablets.
It sounds such a familiar story regarding your surgery ie having to shout the loudest to get heard. Although it's a relatively low risk of Quinoric causing blood disorders, it can still happen and considering you've mentioned you've also have issues with anaemia, it may be worthwhile tapping up your surgery for investigations.
Also, regarding this drug, I take it you've had an opthamological examination before starting Quinoric and that you will be receiving further ones on at least an annual basis?
Oh, by the way, I've checked and Quinoric is one of the few drugs you can take with milk. In fact it's advised to do so (either with that or food) so ignore what I said earlier in that previous post.

True, the Stop Smoking Service is pretty good, both in terms of the products available and the levels of support available. Glad to hear that you're receiving a good service from them.

I'm trying to avoid thinking about last night's match, still too damn painful.

They've got my op pencilled in sometime in March, I'll have to check it doesn't coincide with the second leg of Liverpools champions league tie as was planning on heading out there to watch it if possible.

Warm wishes, and hope your day runs smoothly.

Pennylane-

Thanks Ash,

I hope the dates of your op and the league don't clash :)

I think I will contact the doc regarding fatigue, I think I probably just need some iron shots, I'll ask about something to protect my stomach too.

Have a good day, hopefully the sun will make a brief appearance

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Well if they do, at the very least I'll demand a tv to showing it, that's of course if I can't get the op moved to an earlier date ;)

It would definitely be a good idea to push your doctors regading a top up on your iron if that is running low and to get something to help with your stomach. In fact, something really should have been co-prescribed when treatment with your NSAID had started.

Ohhh look at that, I can see the Sun poking out of a cloud. Still f##ing cold though:rolleyes:

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
That's a rarirty, NHS working in an efficient manner ;) But glad it went well for you. Very rarely will they give a peek as to what the scans tell, probably because the technicians carrying out the scans are not officially qualified to interpret the results. So the worst thing they want to do is to give out arsy info.

But best wishes for the scan results.

Those crazy dreams you're having with you havingn given up smoking, are you using those 24hr NRT patches by any chance? Just asking as they are renowned for causing weird or vivid dreams as thpse patches are pumping nicotine into you whilst you sleep.
Those type of patches are suitable for those who have a craving to light one up as soon as they wake up in the mornings or within say the first 30mins to 1 hr or so. If you can hold out a bit longer, then remove the patch before you go to bed and apply when you wake up. Or switch over to a 16hr patch as an alternative.
Also, as it's still early days, this side effect may subside for you.

Pennylane-

Hiya :)

Yes using the patches, I think I will just start taking them off at night and have a gum first thing, will advise my bro to do the same I think.

Thanks for your reply and advice, watch out for us on the highlights of the Saints match if you watch it, we'll be the ones dressed like we're about to climb Everest and singing the loudest!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
That sounds like a good plan haivng the gum on standby. By the way, if you or your brother need a quicker nicotine hit, then there's the nicotine oral spray which works pretty damn fast.

I'll keep an eye out on the highlights for you both then! Keep the singing clean though as they're likely to bleep it out on tv;)

Pennylane-

Just an update, I had an MRI yesterday on my Cervical spine, one arm goes numb and then breaks out in mini explosions inside if I lift or lower my head, suspected mylopathy. I'm having cortisone injections in my shoulders tomorrow. I went diving and taught my son to dive but struggled with illness on the whole trip, I won't go so far again. I've started a new full time and very demanding job, still taking Dmards, meloxicam and codeine, smoking again :(
If I have mylopathy or spinal compression I don't think I'll be able to hang on to my job, but I'm still trying. 'If you're going through Hell, keep going' x

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi there
I started reading this thread like it was all brand new...until I saw my own reply!
What is the new job?
And what happened with the smoking? :(
It really sounds like you've been toughing it out the last year. You are a strong one. Congrats on that.

Pennylane-

I'm Sous chef in a huge country estate house, it's very beautiful. Thank you for your reply and hey again.
I work 10 days on and four off and I'm keeping myself going with caffeine, nicotine and codeine which I know I can't sustain :(
I don't mean to encourage a self pity party but the thought of work tomorrow is making me cry, I'm hoping the injections will help x

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00