Nice Guys Finish Last?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Do nice guys finish last? Many self-proclaimed nice guys seem to think so. Why is it that the bad boy always seems to get the girl? And may the ladies tell us if they prefer bad boys to good guys?

It happens all the time. A nice guy is hanging with a girl, starting to think she’s really into him, then one day….she says, “let’s just be friends.”
    Nice guys have been the plot for many a romantic comedy. Think of last year’s flick Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Let’s face it, girls as well as guys play this game. Is a bad girl any different from a bad boy?
    Is it something about the guy that you don’t think can be tamed, that maybe you can tame him. I think the girls like the challenge. It's the whole "He'll change for me" sort of thinking.

2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think it's more to do with the 'bad boy' being exciting and daring, whereas the 'good guy' is tame and sometimes boring. Although, the "He'll change for me" idea is probably also a factor.

At the end of the day, each girl is different, so I don't believe that it's always the case that nice guys finish last. I'm a nice guy, and I got a girlfriend easily. It didn't work out, but it wasn't because I was a nice guy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Agreed with Tobes, I don't think it's always the case that nice guys finish last. Personally, I'm not going to be with someone if I'm not comfortable with who they are, because trying to change someone doesn't work.

4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

My aunt has always said the 'nice guys finish last' thing is the curse of the young hahaha

I believe her, because when I was younger I would see the appeal in the dangerous ones, as Tobes said I think it was how unpredictable they were and the fact that I was made to give a bit of a chase. Whereas the nice guys were straightforward, told me exactly what they wanted from the get go and never made me chase them because they were always readily available.

Now that I am older though that's exactly what I want, a nice guy.

5. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It may not be the case all the time but I would say 80% of the time the nice guy does always finish last.

6. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I feel like that saying is fairly accurate...

I was first attracted to my ex because of his bad boy appeal- there've been many guy friends whom I just see as friends, try to ask me out and I had to turn them down.
    ...and I haven't been attracted to anyone else since.

7. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

Can't say about how it works in a romantic sense, but I've seen plenty of 'nice guys' being taken advantage of due to their 'niceness'. They can't say no, so everybody tries to get them to do stuff 'for a friend' and all that.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

By 'Finish Last' do you mean can nice guys live full, happy, meaningful lives or do you mean can they shag some drunken lass on a Friday night out? You probably mean neither, but still it's a strange expression isn't it?

9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I think it goes both ways for both kinds. It depends on what you like. I never got much of a chance at either because I was so shy and I figured no one would want me around.

At 53 years old, I still think that way. I tell myself go and do something because some people will like me and some won't and most won't really know me.

10. Things

Things Well-Known Member

I'm attracted to bad guys (and bad girls sometimes) in a "I think they're hot/cool way". But I'd never date them, as I don't have patience for it.

I think the reason many women go for the bad guys, is yes, because they're exciting. But it's the kind of attraction that's built on drama. Once the drama wears off, the bad guy loses all appeal.

11. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

I would tend to believe the 'nice guys finish last' thing - but then again, its proberly that im too shy when it comes to talking to people of the oppisite gender, if it was not a forced thing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.