Nicotine Withdrawals

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Caster, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but could use some support. I quit smoking almost 36 hours ago, and it's been anything but easy. Last night at 2:00 AM I almost gave in to really bad cravings that were preventing me from sleeping. Luckily I fell back to sleep. I've gone cold turkey so far.

Anyone else in the same boat, or know about how much longer until the cravings will cease? It's also hard because I have to completely abstain from alcohol; otherwise, I'll end up smoking in a heart beat.
  2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Well... I quit smoking last year and the best way to avoid smoking when you have cravings is to keep your hands busy as well as eat something small... so I found the best way was to just have a worked for me. I've heard carrot sticks and gum works too. Other than that try to keep yourself healthy...drink lots of water to help avoid headaches.

Good luck. Its not easy but if you stick to it you'll be past the cravings soon enough. The time frame is different for everybody.
  3. kobie76

kobie76 Well-Known Member

I gave up 16 days ago, getting though the first 3-4 days is hardest part, after that it gets easier everyday I promise. Just take 1 hour/1 day at a time and with a positive attitude you'll get there.

I found chewing regular gum helped me with the cravings. I also tried to eat better, I also found a no-smoking forum which really helped aswell, here's a link for the one I used:

All the best and good luck :)
  4. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions and support guys. It's been 66 hours now and I'm still smoke free.

The first 36 hours were the worst and after that it got better. I felt horrible the first day (anxious and depressed, moreso than usual) but the next day I felt better. I finally threw my last pack away last night (it was nearly full). Hopefully I'll stick with it...I'm at least not physically addicted anymore I don't think.

It's still kind of tough readjusting because I always used to smoke three cigarettes during my lunch break at work so now I've got all this idle time.
  5. kobie76

kobie76 Well-Known Member

You're doing really well Caster, they call the first week "Hell Week", just keep taking one day at a time (one hour even). Once you get through tmoz you'll definitely be over the worst. I'm just making sure I end each day smoke free, in under an hour and a half, day 17 will be over.

I believe you can do it and pretty soon it won't be hours & days you're/we're counting it'll be months & years.

Take it easy mate & keep up the great work, and feel free to PM me if you need any help or advise :)
  6. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Get you some puzzle books for your down times. Good Luck!!!
  7. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Thanks Kobie, today is day 5 so I'm getting there. Tonight at 10:35 PM will be a solid five days for me. It hasn't been easy....I'm still getting cravings. It also makes it hard because of being around the people who smoke at work. They all seem envious; however, the nonsmokers are supportive.

Congratulations on 16 or 17 days though! Or actually, I guess it's more like 18 or 19 now. Keep up the good work though.
  8. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

First 72 hours are the worst because it is the physical withdrawal part. Last year I stopped 15 days and stupidly got back into it. Here is a link to a great online community for people stopping smoking: great tips, great support group. You might want to check it out:
  9. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've been quit for 15 months. This is after numerous attempts to quit through my 40 year smoking career.

That said, I used nicotine gum, spaced with regular gum until I no longer needed the nicotine gum. (Don't use if you all already quit) I knew that suffering of any kind would start me smoking so I prayed to God saying I will not pick up the first cigarette and would he please do the rest (for every thought or craving). I had prayed to him that I'm a wimp. He came through for me and still does.

I also recommend http//

Congratulations on your quit!
  10. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpful information Marijo and Chargette. Tonight will be seven days exactly.

As of yesterday I thought I had this thing completely beat. But today I could not stop thinking about smoking and actually went to two different gas stations with the intention of buying cigarettes but got cold feet when it was time to walk in. I started thinking about how hard it was to get this far and buying a pack started to scare the hell out of me.

I'm not sure why I'm still getting bad cravings. Part of it may be just that I'm miserable to begin with, I don't know. I think a lot of it's psychological and mental now...I'm pretty sure I would have to be past physical dependency on nicotine. Part of me was saying just buy a cigar but I know that's dangerous. My cousin quit smoking completely and then picked up a cigar and now he's back to 2 packs of cigarettes a day:/.
  11. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

This is an update to this topic. Long story short, I made it 9 days without smoking back in February and then relapsed because I became really sad/upset about something. The weird thing is I don't even remember what it is. But anyways, just wanted to say I recently gave quitting another go and it's been 5 days. I'm not looking for many people to respond, but I just figured I'd throw it out there because it's always nice to have support:).
  12. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

13. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Good luck on quitting. I found the second week of not smoking was the worst one, after that it seemed to get easier.

If you want a something to look forward to you could work out how much you spend a week on smokes and then find something really expensive to save up for. It took me 9 weeks and 5 days to afford my £230 watch and now, 9 months of being smoke free later, I have one of my reasons to quit strapped to my wrist. :smile:
  14. Caster

Caster Well-Known Member

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I feel as though I'm through the physical withdrawals but not the psychological withdrawals. I felt fine today until several hours ago. Then I felt really sad when my sister went off for the weekend to be with friends and my parents went out. I'm just home alone drinking to numb my pain. I guess it all just reinforced how lonely I am. I hope I don't go out and buy cigarettes. Loneliness was what caused my last smoking relapse now that I think about it. I think anyways.
  15. roscho

roscho Well-Known Member

You're a light shining for us Caster.

I've never smoked - but use chewing tobacco. I quit for 58 days this spring. Unfortunately today isn't the 59th day.

Cold turkey was not a tough issue after the 72 hour window. My problem was a little more physical... I was constipated for the entire last month. I tried everything. Even went to my GP - none of the relaxants worked. This reminds me, I need to refocus on giving it another try. Maybe if I know what I'll be facing going in, I'll have better success doing things that will prevent the constipation.

FWIW, I went to a hypnotist. It worked, and he gave me many tools to use when I try again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.