nieces drug addiction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by _Lily_, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

My niece has been injecting heroin for a while last night at anothers house she took it she said to us she took it. She says she wants to get clean but today we found a needle in her bed. She been staying here for 2 weeks and after new year she should get housing at a homeless hostal. Its effecting me a lot I can't cope with her being here but there is nothing we can do. She is buying methadone from the street as she has to wait until she is in the hostel before she can get a percrition of methadone . My mental health is effected by the stress of her being here and av been wanting to buy drugs for myself. I haven't touch drugs in years. Today we almost threw her out but because of the time of year and the fact she is family stopped us from doing it.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Can you not take her to emergency of hospital and get her admitted get her on a form to get her locked down for awhile so you do not have to deal with her
    I am sorry she is struggling so but if she is harming herself with meds you need to bring her in to emerg meth can be very dangerous if taken incorrectly

3. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

Its dont work that way here she has to wait until she is really bad with taking the heroin the NHS dont really care about addicts they just have to wait like anyone else

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "really bad"? Like she has to actually be on heroin at the time to get in, or she has to OD, or what? Can you maybe tweak the truth a bit to get her in? If you're also an addict who has been clean for a while and her being there is affecting that, then you need to do something and do it quick. I understand that you're worried about putting her out on the street, especially during wintertime but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. My husband lived on the streets for several years due to being a heroin addict...he spent numerous winters out there because his family had had enough of everything. It may seem like you're being an asshole if you do that to someone, but like I said if it's really affecting you that badly, you should do what's best for you because addicts sure as hell don't care about what's best for you, they're only going to look out for themselves. And if she's only looking out for herself and you're looking out for her on top of that, where does that leave you? I once let an active heroin addict stay with me for many months while I tried to stay clean, merely because he also had nowhere to go and I was afraid to break up with him and be alone, and you know where I ended up? Eventually, I did kick him out, but it was too little too late. Before I knew it, I was shooting heroin again too for the next year.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I know how it works(well, in Ireland anyway).. my friend, was caught injecting heroin in front of her son by a police officer(gardai), her son was instantly taken into custody, she joined a methadone program here called slainte, it's where they basically write prescriptions for methadone, im unsure if counselling is offered too, but i am assuming it is. She now currently still lives in a hostel and she basically failed the methadone program, she's back using heroin, so I do have some understanding of how frustrated you must feel. For now, take each day as it comes and tell her she is not allowed to take heroin in the house...set some rules. I never allowed any of my friends to take drugs in my apartment because its actually me that would have got in trouble if they did. Anyway, good luck with everything.

6. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

she is on methadone now and is getting help but she not staying with us any more she is in a bed and breakfast now

7. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

That's good, I'm glad to hear that..and I hope you're still clean too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.