Night shift anyone?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by morfea, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

I've been working in shifts for 8 years now and it's pretty much ruined my sleeping. It's 3 am here and I'm still awake, must take the pill now and I hate them. Anyone has the same problem?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I cannot work night shifts anymore as i come home at 8 sleep if im lucky 2 hours and then up again I just do not sleep. I hope you can get some rest soon lack of sleep really affects ones ability to cope and increases depression as well at least in me. take care

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I loved working the night shift as I'm a night owl, but it was hard to get enough sleep during the daytime.

4. morfea

Sometimes I don't sleep at all after the night shift, and funny thing is it's better than sleeping only 3 or 4 hours. Doctor told me it's not good for depression but I have no choice, at my age it's hard enough getting a new job as it is and with all this recession and lay-offs it's quite impossible.

5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I really dislike working on the night shift. It makes it harder for me to spend time with my fiance and daughter.

6. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

I don't do the usual "night shift" as I'm a student, but my schedule somedays makes me wake up at 12am while other days I have to be up by 5.30am so I surely understand what you mean by your sleeping being ruined as mine is just the same, it's really tiresome.

7. morfea

Pedro,
    try to end that pattern before it becomes a habit! It's really bad for both body and mind.

Kankuro, how often do you work night shifts? Mine is every 4. night. At the beginning I had a feeling of having much more free time but now I see that it's the time when my kids are at school so I actually spend less time with them than before. But like everything in life, working in shifts does have good sides, the best one for me is that at the place where I work I'm the only one from my company so I don't see any of my numerous bosses :)

8. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

What can I do? It's my schedule. I can't afford to skip classes, and waking always at 5.30 seems even more tiresome than to do what I'm doing right now.

For being detailed's sake, here's my waking hours every week:
    Monday-> 10-12 (depending if I go to the gym)
    Tuesday-> 5.30
    Wednesday-> 10
    Thursday-> 5.30
    Friday-> 10-12 (depending if I go to the gym)
    Saturday/Sunday-> 1PM

Yeah, it's a roller-coaster but I'm stuck to it till January

9. ZombiePringle

5 days a week for me starting sunday nights. 11pm - 7:30 AM. I get friday and saturday nights off.

10. morfea

Pedro, I understand why you have to wake up at 5.30 on some days, but I suppose you sleep until 10, 12 or 1 on other days because you go to bed late after been on comp, or watchin TV or something like that? I mean you're not in the library or at college late at night? Maybe you're studying at home at those late hours, but I would suggest you try it differently, go to bed earlier, wake up earlier and study in the morning? Just a thought, I know it's not easy, but maybe you could change something.
    When I went to college I used to do study until midnight or 1, 2 am, with loads of coffee, soon I started to feel sick and changed my studying hours. Whatever you do I hope you make it a bit better for yourself :)

11. morfea

omg, 5 days a week! And I thought I had bad shifts. I do hope this won't last long Kankuro :)

12. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand what you're saying and that's what I tried when I started, but considering Tuesdays and Thursdays I have classes till 8pm, that leaves so little time for studying I end up staying up late to catch up and thus next morning I wake at 10-12. I guess I could indeed go to bed early and wake up early to study, but I was always so less productive during mornings than nights that it feels like trading my best for my worst, tough I am aware of the negative effects on my health.

I really have to think this situation through.

13. morfea

Pedro, I am a night person myself, that's why I can work the night shifts actually, and I understand how difficult it is. I hope you try one little change to begin with and see how it goes.

14. ZombiePringle

Its pretty set for me. I am in charge of the shift (along with one other) so until I get a new job I'm stuck on the night shift.

15. morfea

See you tonight then, this recession makes me hang on the net all night, very little work, but I have SF, FB, google, mail,...you name it I'm there :) which is not all that good as it may sound

16. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I work 12am-6am tuesday-saturday.

I sleep around 11:30am, wake up somewhere around 9pm everyday.

It's nice, I don't have to experience life this way. :laugh:

17. morfea

:laugh: never looked at it that way, I'll try to remember next time I feel down, might help:)

18. Vanilla Sky

Vanilla Sky Well-Known Member

I worked nights for 6 months. hated it. never again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.