Nightmare scenario (not scary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Communications have been taking place days beforehand,an alien spaceship has contacted NASA and informed all the world leaders to assemble at an agreed upon location.
The reason for their visit is to check up on the race of beings they left behind on earth millions of years ago.
A species who now cover most of the planet.
Both cosmic traveler and mammal share the same DNA.
They wish to check on the progress of their interstellar cousins.

The day arrives and the craft lands as promised.The excitement level for every watching homosapien mind on the planet is almost too much to bear.
All human eyes are glued to the screens,eagerly waiting for a first glimpse of their space relations.
Every one of the worlds leaders are assembled on a stage facing the main door of the landed craft.
Hope fills the air.
The doors of the craft opens.
Out steps the alien,with much relief the world recognises the body shape.

It waves,the world waves back.
Then the first words are spoken.
"I need oxygen to breathe,is it safe for me to remove my helmet?"
President Petraeus steps forward and nods his head in the affirmative.
The form nods back in recognition and duly takes off the helmet to reveal the head of ....a cow.

Discuss. :cow:

Bani

So....in this scenario we're related to space cows? I don't know what to think. . . but I'm sure I would giggle if I witnessed that. lol

No,you misunderstand from my poor and convoluted writing skills......and bad story telling....not to mention poor scenario framing ability.....instead of a human it was a cow....what are we going to tell that cow about the genetic relation it left back here on earth all them whiles ago?

What would we do if a powerful alien cow landed and asked us "hey,how are all the cows?"

bhawk

lol invite the aliens to a meal.....then clorophorm them when they arent expecting it and see if they taste like earth cows

:D space cow-burgers :yay:

HA hahaha.... I love it! Hmm... that could cause some issues... "Oh, and can I get a double-decker alien, with extra cheese?"
Alien spacecraft shows up... "Noooooooo!!!!!!"
lol

Guys please,I set up this "workshop" in order to explore our feelings towards the meat industry and what harm it is doing to our souls.
Can I ask you all to reach inside of yourselves and pull out something honest,something raw,something "you".

bhawk

the meat industry?
Well to be honest i dont like intensive farming, i personally prefer to hunt my own game. I loath few things more than the sight of meat wrapped in cellophane with people not having in their mind a life had to be took for them to survive. In my work i have met kids who havent seen a cow before and think meat is "made" in factories. Kids who dont know where eggs come from!

While i do hunt i think its important to say that i dont like having to kill the animals, i still to this day say sorry to every animal i kill before i kill it.

One thing i do despise is the attitude you get from some vegetarians, the "i dont want to be part of any animal dying" attitude. They always seem to forget the habitat destruction for farming land, the vermin (which i eat, i.e rabbits, hare, woodpigeon etc) which needs to be controlled to protect crops. Even using paper has its links to death, we shoot deer to protect the young trees (i also dont like damaging trees, flowers etc. Theyre still alive and i dont like destroying living things)

The problem with the meat industry in my eyes is that they are being forced to lower their prices, people dont want to pay for good meat and so farmers are often forced into taking short cuts and intensifying to both produce the numbers and lower the costs of producing the meat.
I know many farmers who cant sell their produce and even break even, they are at a loss and british farming is in a dire state.

People should promote british farming and pay the price the farmers want and need, then farming will progress and the animals will then benefit.

Mortal Moon

If you wanted to talk about the meat industry, why didn't you just say so? I can only speak for myself, but that topic didn't cross my mind at all when I read your scenario. I was thinking it was more along the lines of "what if cows are actually the super-intelligent owners of the planet, and we only THINK we are?"

Which is kind of an interesting thought on its own.

@bhawk.If you get any attempted "guilt trips" from a vegetarian simply ask them why they're not a vegan?

@Mortal Moon-Yes!.What if cows are the ARE the super intelligent owners of this planet?
Not what if but what if they ARE?:blink:

I hand the baton of power over to you.
I Surrender this thread.:shelbi: :lone:

People of this thread,the incompetent rule of nomoneytoplease has come to an end.
All hail your new ruler Mortal Moon! :biggrin:

Well i first laughed, but i did realize what you were asking- except the bit about the meat industry and our feelings about it. the story doesn't really connect to the meat industry in ANY way, except for the fact that theres cows in the story. It's like telling a story about space travel, to see what people really think about life on mars.

if i was one of those leaders meeting them, i'd start apologizing... profusely. and then explain to them that their genetic relatives were not intelligent beings and were being used as food...
as for the meat industry- it abuses animals. do i care? kind of. i can't think about it when i'm eating meat. but i don't eat real meat that often (mostly it's fast food burgers that aren't even half meat). am i doing anything about it? no. although i think, as a country, we need to become less focused on protein. be like an asian/indian country and use lots of rice in the diet. if we did that, we'd also have much more food for everyone in the world- meat takes significantly more resources to get.

@nomoney, guilt tripping a vegetarian for not being vegan is a bit ridiculous. vegan involves not eating ANYTHING that comes from animals: milk, eggs, and anything else that can be procured without harming the animal. from what i can tell, some vegetarians argue that the animals are harmed and abused when used for meat (and sometimes eggs).

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kayte.The whole point of my badly told story was about the meat industry.If bipedal cows arrived in ufo's and clearly had the capability to trash us in anger then the meat industry sites would be bulldozed and covered over with three feet of concrete overnight.Ronald McDonald would end up in gitmo.
The burger king?Who he?

I truly believe vegetarians make an informed decision when they choose to keep on supporting the dairy industry.
I would take a lecture from a vegan on animal cruelty,they have earned the right to talk that way through personal sacrifice,but a cheese and egg pasty munching bigmouth?No way.Those people are as much responsible for the cruel conditions that farm animals have to suffer as meat eaters are.
Vegetarians willingly fund animal captivity.

bhawk

@Kayte.The whole point of my badly told story was about the meat industry.If bipedal cows arrived in ufo's and clearly had the capability to trash us in anger then the meat industry sites would be bulldozed and covered over with three feet of concrete overnight.Ronald McDonald would end up in gitmo.
The burger king?Who he?

I truly believe vegetarians make an informed decision when they choose to keep on supporting the dairy industry.
I would take a lecture from a vegan on animal cruelty,they have earned the right to talk that way through personal sacrifice,but a cheese and egg pasty munching bigmouth?No way.Those people are as much responsible for the cruel conditions that farm animals have to suffer as meat eaters are.
Vegetarians willingly fund animal captivity.
As i stated before even vegans are not detached from the slaughter of animals. We have to kill millions of animals every year just to protect the crops.

In the UK rabbits alone cause over 100 Million pounds worth of damage.

@bhawk-We need to kill these animal in order to protect revenue sources for the agricultural industry that supplies us with out animal based products,I do not see how vegans are involved in that rabbit controlling scenario at all?

Vegans are detached from the slaughter of animals simply by the grace of choosing to be so.

bhawk

@bhawk-We need to kill these animal in order to protect revenue sources for the agricultural industry that supplies us with out animal based products,I do not see how vegans are involved in that rabbit controlling scenario at all?

Vegans are detached from the slaughter of animals simply by the grace of choosing to be so.
the crops get damaged and eaten by animals, in order to protect the food they demand animals have to be killed in order to provide that product. This to me makes them partially responsible as we all are for the death of animals.

To put it simply, to supply them food we have to kill animals

Mortal Moon

A relevant link concerning the locus of moral responsibility:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/doing-allowing/

Just some food for thought, if you'll pardon the expression. I think the extent to which vegans (or vegetarians, or meat-eaters, for that matter) are morally responsible for the deaths and/or cruel treatment of animals is more of a complex issue than it may seem at first blush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00