Nightmares and how to cope???

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by sunnypseudo, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunnypseudo

sunnypseudo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an answer for how to cope with triggering nightmares? I can't function. I feel absolutely paralyzed by fear, an unrealistic fear and I know it is. Ijust can't shake it.
  2. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

Could you go for a walk or do something different to shake it off? What about taking a shower?

One thing I have done most of my life to help me sleep again have been to tell myself bedtime stories, it calms me...

But in the long run, have you had any trigger based therapy?
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Sleep with the light on, or a lamp on. Remind yourself they cannot hurt you. I think you should seea counsellor seeing as how distressing this is for you. When you wake frightened come on here there is always someone to talk to.
  4. sunnypseudo

sunnypseudo Well-Known Member

I don't understand why but the shower is a frightening place. I really can't explain it. My therapist specializes in trauma but so far we're only two sessions in. I'm not sure what she is going to end up recommending, but I go back in a little over a week. I also have my psychiatrist appointment scheduled but that won't be until June. I ended up calling someone I haven't spoken to in a while but we are both pretty messed up, and we talked for a little bit. I have the damnedest time trying to open up on here, or talk while in the middle of it. I did first try to draw this morning and I just felt like I couldn't make myself focus. I am much more calm now but I still feel like my skin is crawling. Oh man I want to take a shower so bad but I don't wan to take my clothes off. I used to shower like that years ago, never really thought about it until now. Showering clothed, that is. Does the come down always feel this heavy?? I used to sleep with a light on, did for years and years, light or a TV on. Both that and telling myself stories at night were what used to help me sleep until I fell back into a healthy pattern of sleep again. It took years to learn how to do it until I wasn't afraid anymore. Now its a little more difficult but I suppose I could spend some time sleeping in the living room until I adjust again. Its been a long time since I was afraid to sleep. I guess it all just caught me off guard.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.