Nightmares

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by MoAnamCara, Oct 12, 2016.

1. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

i don't know how to deal with these. It's not every night. Tonight was one, though. I'm exhausted but woke up in distress. I believe when our bodies are in a stressful state as opposed to relaxed, nightmares tend to happen more. Tonight's was so vivid, unsettling. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

Hi MoAna,

I have these too - I know what you're going through. I'm the same where it doesn't happen every night so it takes me by surprise. I don't know how to initially prevent them (I don't even know if you can) but what I do when I get one is watch something lighthearted on TV straight away to banish it from my mind as much as possible and hopefully try to sleep afterwards so it doesn't come back. Sorry, I'm not much help, but at least know that you're not alone and I'm here if you need a chat <3

MoAnamCara likes this.
  3. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

All I can is *BIGHUG @MoAnamCara , I am here if you need to talk.

Be kind to yourself

Take Care

MoAnamCara likes this.
  4. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Hi @MoAnamCara

I'm sorry you go through this...I suffer recurring nightmares. I've had them the same one or two since I can remember, maybe since age eight. I know exactly what they mean, what they symbolize...abuse that happened when I was seven...but they still don't go away even though I've dealt with that pain and trauma through therapy. My boyfriend says I murmur louder and louder, take sharp breaths and shake violently when they happen. He said sometimes I stop on my own, but when it gets bad, he wakes me up. I wake up soaked in sweat and traumatized again...it's really horrible. I have NO IDEA how to deal with these nightmares. I try to think of them as a figment of my very amazing imagination, but sometimes it's really hard to get back to sleep.

MoAnamCara likes this.
  5. Montage

Montage Well-Known Member

I get them too and they are horrible.. I'm so sorry... I don't have any solutions either.. sometimes if I take sleeping pills I don't seem to have them.. at least know you aren't alone and I'm here if you ever want to chat

MoAnamCara likes this.
  6. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

My thanks for responding :)

Lux - I try and play games on the ipad before heading to bed to try and keep the mind in a better place. That's a good idea re watching some lighter things, I need to add that to my list, thanks.

Thanks moxman

Frances - it is difficult to get back to being relaxed enough to go back to sleep. I feel more on edge and vigilant. I'm sorry I've no helpful suggestions, I wish i did.

Montage - I'm sorry you do, too. They are exhausting. There have been days when I don't want to go to bed because I'm scared I'll have nightmares.

Thanks everyone, if I come up with any helpful ideas I'll certainly share. :)

Frances M likes this.
  7. moxman

moxman Well-Known Member

You are not alone , you have us. We are strong, we are strong. We have you. *hug.

MoAnamCara likes this.
  8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya. I'm sorry so many are having nightmares.

I've had them - ranging from the sudden wake up with "OMG! Ughh" to the kind where I mumbled/talked and then woke up screaming. For me, bad dreams/nightmares are often triggered by stress in my waking life that I'm not dealing with, but need to.

I have used visualization (e.g., creating my own perfect "spot" with a cabin, sunset, animals) to fall asleep or fall back to sleep. I sometimes play soothing music at low volume when I'm falling asleep or if I've been awakened. Maybe the most important thing for me has been to re-ground myself in the present, which is not the nightmare.

I sure hope that others find their nightmares/bad dreams begin to go away over time.

9. troubledmind

troubledmind Well-Known Member

I also have nightmares.. I have learned that mine are from my skyzo affect disorder.. I wake up screaming and sometimes I jump out of bed.. Usually when I have one I am up the rest of the night.. so I watch TV.. I go out in the living room to do this so I don't wake up my dog..I don't know of any cures.. My shrink has me on heavy meds butthe don't help.. I hope you find a solution.. I know they can totally freak you out.. Take Care

10. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Thanks Acy... I've learned the same thing, that stress and anxiety can result in the bad dreams returning, apart from triggering subjects. I'm better the last few days, feeling more relaxed so to speak which is good. Issue now is managing to get over three hours sleep in one go. It seems to be the magical number at the moment, I'm happy for that to change ASAP!

Sometimes, if my mind won't shut down I'll do an A to Z of animals, or flowers, or anything really. It gives me something else to think about when laying there rather than all of the other things that keep popping in. If I try hard enough it helps to distract so that I can fall asleep.

I'm sorry troubled mind, it is so frustrating, scary and difficult to deal with. That's good re the TV. :)

11. Violette

Violette Well-Known Member

has anyone found a cure for these? or a solution to at least sleep some?

I dont want to sleep and when i do i freak out and cant go back to sleep