Nightmares

Is there any way that can help you get rid of nightmares? The nightmares I have come with memory loss per nightmare.
I can remember past events just fine but anything recent I loose my memory such as names or meeting people. or what I'm fixing to do or dates and everything
else.
I'm tired of my memory loss and nightmares.... The nightmares are creating panic attacks when I wake up. They trigger me to cry. I'm tired of it.
It doesn't matter what I try to do to get rid of the nightmares they are always there.
I used to not dream until about 2 years ago. I'm 30 in two days and am so sick of the nightmares.
They have created so much stress in my life...
I just want them gone.
Sometimes I think what if these nightmares erase my memory completely would they help me forget about suicide or anything else I am having problems with?
If I loose my memory completely would it help get rid of my depression? or what I don't know...
Would memory loss benefit me in some way?

Memory loss makes me scared but it may have some benefits to fight my depression I just don't know yet...
I had ect therapy three years ago and I think that may have contributed to my memory loss.
At first all my memory came back thru triggers but now I'm loosing my memory again with no ect therapy.

I just don't know what to do about this. I don't know how to handle it.
Any suggestions that may be helpful? Cause I don't know how to control these nightmares or get rid of them.
Even though I Want these nightmares to stop... I don't know what to do about them.

There may be something in the link in my signature that could help.

For people with PTSD, an anti-depressant called mirtazipine is reported to have good effects on nightmares and flashbacks.

Harmony

SF Supporter
There may be something in the link in my signature that could help.

For people with PTSD, an anti-depressant called mirtazipine is reported to have good effects on nightmares and flashbacks.
Actually, the medication would be prazosin which is specifically used for the prevention of nightmares.

Harmony

SF Supporter
mirtazipine/Remeron is an atypical antidepressant especially helpful for insomnia. Provided the pt responds, it has empirically been shown to have a much quicker anti-depressant effect as opposed to the 4 wk waiting period of other AD meds.

Harmony

SF Supporter
Yes, speak with your prescriber about the troubling nightmares and prazosin. He or she will definitely be familiar with its use for this specific purpose. Good luck and I hope you can get some relief.

You should probably go by what @Harmony has to say about medication, she knows a lot more than I do about that. I think mirtazapine has off-label uses for PTSD, and since nightmares are one of the symptoms of PTSD, I just kind of assumed it would be good for that.

Are you anywhere near Portland? I think there are a couple acupuncture schools there that have teaching clinics that offer some really affordable care. Acupuncture and possibly Chinese herbal medicine might hel.

You should probably go by what @Harmony has to say about medication, she knows a lot more than I do about that. I think mirtazapine has off-label uses for PTSD, and since nightmares are one of the symptoms of PTSD, I just kind of assumed it would be good for that.

Are you anywhere near Portland? I think there are a couple acupuncture schools there that have teaching clinics that offer some really affordable care. Acupuncture and possibly Chinese herbal medicine might hel.
I got into cascadia. At first they wanted me to pay a huge co pay like $300.00 i told them with four insurances I shouldn't have to be paying anything and even if my humana my bcbs should cover it with a $30.00 copay. She said there is one thing i could do is submit my low income letter to the billing department and that should wave my co pay fee. I've already had one appointment with them and have a next very soon. :) :) :) :)

Yes, speak with your prescriber about the troubling nightmares and prazosin. He or she will definitely be familiar with its use for this specific purpose. Good luck and I hope you can get some relief.
I did get prazosin but I havent taken it yet I'm afraid too. My doctor stated it can lower blood pressure and all. I already have low blood pressure from dehydration not drinking enough water. Last time I was so dehydrated the doctors thought I was going into septic shock but my fever went down from 100.6 in two hours after IV so i am afraid to even take prazosin...

I've already had one appointment with them and have a next very soon
This is for an acupuncture appointment? While I'm glad that you're getting treatment, what they are charging is about 10 times more than comparable care that you could get elsewhere. I'd recommend canceling this second appointment. Imho, it's disgraceful that they would charge someone who is on a low income that much for a treatment. I've never even heard of anyone charging that much for a single treatment.

If you search for community acupuncture in your area, there should be plenty of places charging more the $15-$30 range for treatment. Also, www.POCAcoop.com should have a list of POCA affiliated clinics, though a POCA clinic won't necessarily be any different from any other community style clinic.

I'd be happy to try to help you find a clinic if you want to tell me your general location, either here or via PM.

This is for an acupuncture appointment? While I'm glad that you're getting treatment, what they are charging is about 10 times more than comparable care that you could get elsewhere. I'd recommend canceling this second appointment. Imho, it's disgraceful that they would charge someone who is on a low income that much for a treatment. I've never even heard of anyone charging that much for a single treatment.

If you search for community acupuncture in your area, there should be plenty of places charging more the $15-$30 range for treatment. Also, www.POCAcoop.com should have a list of POCA affiliated clinics, though a POCA clinic won't necessarily be any different from any other community style clinic.

I'd be happy to try to help you find a clinic if you want to tell me your general location, either here or via PM.
no this isnt acupuncture cascadia is for psych therapy.

Harmony

SF Supporter
Drink more water/beverages is all I can recommend. Septic shock btw doesn't happen from dehydration alone. There has to be a bacterial infection present that pervades throughout your bloodstream.

no this isnt acupuncture cascadia is for psych therapy.
Oh. $270-$300 for an appointment still doesn't sound like it would be worthwhile or sustainable if you've got a low income, no matter what the treatment is.

That's just my 2 cents though. I hope you get good treatment no matter what the treatment is.

Oh. $270-$300 for an appointment still doesn't sound like it would be worthwhile or sustainable if you've got a low income, no matter what the treatment is.

That's just my 2 cents though. I hope you get good treatment no matter what the treatment is.
i dont have to pay any copay since I have low income verification letter. so the $260 doesn't matter anymore...

Anonymous ID

Is there any way that can help you get rid of nightmares? The nightmares I have come with memory loss per nightmare.
I can remember past events just fine but anything recent I loose my memory such as names or meeting people. or what I'm fixing to do or dates and everything
else.
I'm tired of my memory loss and nightmares.... The nightmares are creating panic attacks when I wake up. They trigger me to cry. I'm tired of it.
It doesn't matter what I try to do to get rid of the nightmares they are always there.
I used to not dream until about 2 years ago. I'm 30 in two days and am so sick of the nightmares.
They have created so much stress in my life...
I just want them gone.
Sometimes I think what if these nightmares erase my memory completely would they help me forget about suicide or anything else I am having problems with?
If I loose my memory completely would it help get rid of my depression? or what I don't know...
Would memory loss benefit me in some way?

Memory loss makes me scared but it may have some benefits to fight my depression I just don't know yet...
I had ect therapy three years ago and I think that may have contributed to my memory loss.
At first all my memory came back thru triggers but now I'm loosing my memory again with no ect therapy.

I just don't know what to do about this. I don't know how to handle it.
Any suggestions that may be helpful? Cause I don't know how to control these nightmares or get rid of them.
Even though I Want these nightmares to stop... I don't know what to do about them.
Some medication can cause nightmares. I get nightmares a lot as well but I think it is because I'm not dealing with past trauma irl.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00