Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by *sparkle*, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

i wasn't sure where to post this :unsure: but as sleep is the issue i will put it here!

everything is great with me. im happy, im settled and things are ok.

BUT im still suffering with my nightmares. they are very vivid and pretty much flashbacks of things from the past. im waking up constantly sweating and shaking and also therefore waking my fiance up constantly.

are there any hints or tips to a good nights sleep without these awful dreams? its making me tired all day and i just don't want these nightmares anymore :dry:
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Welcome to my club :laugh: The nightmare club! Believe me, even though I put that 'laugh' smilie in there it is no laughing matter. I have horrible, horrible nightmares. When I dream, or when I can remember ( I think I remember about half of them) 99% are nightmares.

There are many issues here. First is that we all need to get to the dream state of's necesary for the brain to recharge. It's also necessary to have the brain "release" those feelings. I say feelings because dreams are a reflection of many things including general feelings such as anxiety, sorrow, frustration etc.

I have read and have been told by t's that if you can remember how you were feeling in the dream, it is indicative of how you are, or were feeling consciously...and subconsciously. It can be from something that happened today or from childhood.

It sounds like you're sleep is ok, but for the dreams I've heard that therapy is the only answer. I know you say you are happy, but the subconscious thoughts of past trauma may stay with you.

I'm going to send you a pm about this.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey sometimes the meds can cause vivid nightmares as well. ask you doc about that okay I hate nightmares i wake up screaming go back to sleep then forget what they were good thing i guess. scare the hell out of my husband though
  4. DS

DS Account Closed

My heart really goes out to you.

For me it had to run it's course. Time, did more for me than just gradually eased.

Prior to sleep, i reassured myself i was safe. Had to address it cognitively. The person went to prison, so it could not be repeated. At this point, I can still vividly see it...but can usually keep my distance I don't **feel** it all over again. Mainly it was time...

Sometimes meds that allow you to get an occasional heavy deep sleep may knock out meds. It did for me when things were really bad.
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Sparkle if you have any tips that worked for you I would love to know...the torment is killing me and the demons in my sleep seem bigger than any those when awake...the waking up every two hours shaking and scared has resulted in way too much sleep loss, sleeping pills don't help and I fear going to bed...the dream is basically the same and no matter how many times I go back to sleep I awaken in horror as many times...I don't understand what is a happening to me really at all.
    If anyone else can offer advice I sure would be appreciative and thank you more than you know.....Bambi
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.