Nighttime Dreams and carrying them out.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Scum, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I didn't know where to put this, so if it goes better elsewhere someone please feel free to move it.

I have these dreams that I wake up from and have to carry them out. Often though that's actually impossible due to whatever happened, or the location/s involved, or people involved. They are normally pretty horrifically self destructive or involve doing other things that I know I definitely shouldn't.

I wake up needing to carry them out, and it puts me in a very dangerous place.

Just wondered if anyone else struggled with this and if anyone has found a way to deal with it?

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

do you feel controlled, like you have no choice but to do what the dream tells you? it reminds me when i dissociate so much i wander and i do feel very out of control when feeling dead inside.

i didn't go through exactly what you're saying but i did, when i was ill a few years ago, feel like the dreams i had meant that i had done something (ie, that i'd killed someone and was guilty of this and was going to punish myself because of this).

what helped me was my therapist who made me talk through what i had dreamt about and linked it up to my role in my family where i was put in helpless situations a lot. so i understood the feeling of being out of control a lot better which made me feel in control of what i was feeling through my dreams (guilt). i suppose just being aware of why this was happening to me helped me a lot.

3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I don't carry out my dreams, but I do have some pretty gorey ones.. They wake me up and I will be shaking, Or a few time I have jumped right out of bed..Once I am awake I stay up the rest of the night.. Then I will nap for a few hours during the day..I don't seem to have bad dreams during the day..I talked to my therapist about them and she said I have control issues..

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I'm not sure if this is the same feeling you are experiencing, but I have some in which I'm half asleep/awake and usually trying to get out of bed to fight someone off or escape from something. I only get these when I've taken ambien for sleep for a few days and then stop.

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeh GGG, I do feel controlled. It's very similar to my dissociation but a different trigger I guess.

I got through it without doing anything. Just felt drained at the end. Didn't have one last night though.

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i'm glad to hear you've got through it without doing anything and it is tiring to go through all that. look after yourself. :hug:

7. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

i am ashamed to admit that i have had similar dreams, although they are usualy about having things done to me, not doing things..

somtimes its things that have happened, somtimes its just things that are in my mind at the time, for whatever reason.

i am also ashamed to admit that i have actualy activly sought out trying to make those things happen. In some of the most dangerous possible, but some times i cant help it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.