Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Tam, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

For anyone who doesn't know, NIMBY stands for Not In My Backyard, and refers to people who oppose development purely on the grounds that they don't want new housing, new industry, new airports etc in the area where they live.

Well I want to state unequivocally that I AM A CARD CARRYING MEMBER OF THE NIMBY PARTY!

Where do people get off slagging those who want to maintain their quality of life as selfish. What audacity to lay a guilt trip on people who just want to preserve their environment, as if you're somehow morally wrong to feel angry about big business and government exploiting every avenue available in the dubious name of 'greater good' (read 'profit' for the few) by arbitrarily overriding local objections to such development as nimbyism.

I think I have a right to expect the government, the planning authoriities, the powers that be to take into account opposition to their developments based on personal preference as being equally as valid as all other 'acceptable' objections. Funny how the rules keep changing, when regulations and guidleines originally set in place to protect NIMBYs like me are gradually being eroded, it becoming 'inconvenient' to maintain them seeing as how they only get in the way of 'progress'. I think all NIMBYs should get together and plan a revolution!

Let's start a proper NIMBY party, let's get elected to parliament, LET'S TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
  2. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Well a majority of NIMBYs are simply homophobic, anti-humanitarian, racist idiots who complain about things which don't even affect them directly.

Have you seen George Carlin's bit on NIMBY?
  3. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

So you want to deny others places to live, on the basis that you own a set of nearby property?

You want to deny others places to work, on the basis that that you own a set of nearby property?

You want to deny others the means to travel, on the basis that you own a set of nearby property?

You are opposing progress based on your own selfish desires. That alone is enough of a justification to ignore you.
  4. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

In fairness, when the housing across the street from where I lived was being developed, the circumstances were hardly pleasant. Not only was there constant noise every day for over six months starting from 5am and usually ending around 9pm at the earliest (Including Sundays.. which I get the feeling is breaking some kind of law..?) but I had to put up with explicit, sexual comments every time I left the house. Baring in mind that I live in a small village and close to a primary school. At half eight in the morning, I'd be walking to catch my bus, usually with several mothers taking their young children to school at the same time. Not only would they be making comments directed at me - though I was only just sixteen at the time, usually wearing my school uniform when they saw me.. - I was also approached on several ocassions, as were some of the mothers or carers.

In situations like this, I agree with what Tam is saying. I don't see why I or anyone else should have to put up with such conditions. But I understand that this was a problem with the developers, not the actual development. I'm confused as to what issues could arise from the development alone.

Tam (or anyone who shares the same view), would you be able to explain other reasons that you wouldn't like development to be taking place near your home?
  5. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Wow, when I posted this thread I thought it might start up a debate, I certainly didn't expect to be personally attacked. (sorry Raye, I don't mean you, I thought your post was fair and reasonable).

I wouldn't have said that I am homophobic, anti-humantiarian, racist or an idiot. I wonder how being a nimby comes to mean those things?

And I don't quite know what to say to Aeterna's comments. I don't think I even feel angry, just hurt. I guess I assumed soap box was a place to air views and opinions, didn't expect to be personally attacked for them.
  6. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

LOL, never heard of it, but I support the idea, not really into taking over the world at the moment though, got other things to do. :) The only way that'll ever get slowed down is with serious immigration controls, but the far left will acuse anyone who mentions immigration of being a racist. Ironically its also the left who are meant to be more concerned about the environment. Go figure...
  7. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Unless they're building upon your property, the government (or any private purchaser) has a right to build on land theyown or have rights to. The only time that is exempted is if they're building something that interferes with health or well-being, like a polluting factory.
  8. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Well your from the US, which is vastly less densely populated than here in the UK, I don't want to live in a concrete jungle.

Green belt land is meant to be the most protected land against being built on in the country, yet they are building on it.
  9. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

I'd never even heard the term until now, isn't NIMBY meant to be an insult? Is this a sarcastic post?
  10. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

No it's not sarcastic, but i did write it a little bit lightheartedly. Yeah NIMBY is used in a perjorative way, to invalidate the objections of locals by claiming that their concern to preserve their little bit of paradise, or whatever, is selfish and therefore invalid.

I find the whole notion of 'selfishness' being labelled as unacceptable grounds for objecting to things you don't want in your life a form of moral trickery pokery, so in effect am taking the opposite stand.

Of course there are different sides to everything, I just thought it would be interesting to see what people thought both about this specific issue, and more widely about the general idea of selfishness.
  11. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Glad you weren't upset by my post, Tam, as no offence was intended :smile:

Would you mind explaining why you hold the view that you do? This isn't a topic that I'm familiar with and I'd be interested to know both sides of the argument.
  12. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought you meant in a broad context. Come to think of it, even here we have a strong NIMBY movement, mostly concerning wind turbines for energy.

As for the UK, I've heard that many people have actually been rather tolerant with regards to wind turbines in their 'backyard.' Buildings and more industrial constructs are probably more troubling I'm sure. In Japan and Singapore, there has been a lot of legal action taken by locals upset about seeing their green spaces disappear, or having skyscrapers overshadowing their homes.

What if you were given compensation, which is often used as a compromise? Would you be ok with it?
  13. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

You are more than welcome to air your views.

I am more than welcome to criticize your views, which is airing MY views. If you get hurt that easily, don't post in the soap box.
  14. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I don't know any Nimbys and I'm not going to say that all of them have the same mindset, but the idea does sound selfish. Even the name 'Not In My Back Yard' sounds selfish, considering it isn't in your backyard at all, but on open property. Like Aeterna said, and you yourself TAM, you are against housing, industry and development, which is putting your own needs and desires ahead of the needs and desires of others. This is selfish. If you don't like it, you can move, and you wouldn't be forced into moving either, because you would be making the choice. I am for development, because it needs to be done and I realize that there is plenty of places I can go that aren't overdeveloped if I don't like how my town or city is changing. Moving isn't easy of course, but if you don't like the town or city you live in, then it's the sensible choice, instead of complaining about where you live and hoping in vain that they will stop development just because some people are against it.
  15. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

The title NIMBY is a mockery anyway. I'd never heard of it until now, its just a way of demonising people who want to preserve a natural environment.

Every1 is selfish to a point, you call people who want to be able to enjoy a natural environment selfish, well so is building everywhere, you're even telling them to move, can't you see the irony? Selfish indeed!

People like you won't be happy until theres no natural environments in the country and everywhere is a giant city filled with traffic jams, unless you're rich with acres of land.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
  16. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Well I'm not part of any movement, I just moan about it at any opportunity I can :unsure: :laugh:

I'm not overly fussed about neccesities, like turbines for energy, just people and housing, pull up the draw bridge!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.