No clue what to due

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Mordeci, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Basically my situation is this, somehow I ended up in Law School but I have no intention of praticing law in any way shape or form and I don't see my career having anything to do with the law at all. My parents said that I should stay in law school for the three years and get the degree but I dont really want to plus they supported me for a year finically assuming I would go to law school, but now that I am here I hate it with such a passion I can't even begin to explain. Im afraid if I leave they wont want anything to do with me (if you met my parents then you would know that is a real possablity) and I see know way out either I waste my life or I loose the only people who supported me.

2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

IS it just the Law school that you hate OR you are already uhappy and don't want to be in law school?

They are controlling and view prestige and status as success? Sounds like my parents.

3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Hmmm i know a lot of people who have got jobs that have nothing whatsoever to do with their degree's at all. A degree is a degree doesnt mean you have to go into that particular field of work

4. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Well I am of having trouble making friends (story of my life) which dosent help matters, I have always been unhappy but I am even more unhappy when I am in Law school it was so bad that I took a year off figuring I need to get my life in order but now that I am back I am falling back into old habits of not studying and the like. My parents has this view that I will become this rich lawyer which isn't going to happen. As far as the degree I can kind of see where they are coming from with why not do the three years and get the degree but on the other hands its three years in my 20's and why waste it doing something for something I am never going to use.

5. pinkpetals33

Regardless of the degree or not, you said it....you have always been unhappy. That is tought b/c it bleeds into other areas of our lives. Had your depression ever been addressed ? Have you ever told your parent you are concerened about your MH?

Why do you have a hard time socially? What do you mean trouble making friends? Would you feel differently about being in law school if you had a enrichening social circle where you can bitch, complain and have a good time with?

On the other side, as far a law degrees go.....they do have uses in many areas not just a practicing lawyer.

6. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

My depression is being has been being addressed for the past 2 years, so far with little progress although my doctors have been trying, my parents know all about my mental health problems they brush it off as something I can overcome easeily, they don't fully understand it.

Socially I just have extremly bad social anxiety I assume people don't like me and I am usually right, I just don't seem to be a likable person, if I had friends things might be a little diffrent but the class material is so dry and boring I can't even explain it, its just awful, I can't see doing it as a career.

I have been told their is a lot you can do with a law degree, I just haven't been told what, and know one seems to know lol, besides what my passion really is is something in the arts filmmaking, the thearter, something creative like that so a law degree would kind of be pointless to have.

7. Malou

Malou Well-Known Member

Question is, is it the law school that is making you unhappy, or is it something else? If you have a depression, you are going to feel miserable anywhere. I have two things to say, but bear in mind, that I probably shouldn't really be giving anyone advice on how to live their life:

1) You don't see yourself as a lawyer in the future, but how do you see yourself then? What are your interests, what do you like? What are your own goals with your life? Will law school bring you closer to or further from your goal?

For example, lets say totally hypothetically, that you love fishing. In an ideal world you would be fishing all day long at a quiet lake and be totally content. Now very few people can make a living out of fishing (not talking about industrial fishing on a trawler). So who has the most spare time and energy to go fishing? The lawyer or the 7-eleven shop assistant? Who can buy the best fishing pole? In this case law school might be beneficial for YOU - not your parents.

The hard part is finding out what you want. It's much easier to know what you don't want. But don't underestimate the value of a college education. It will give you more possibilities in the long run. Even in other fields, because it shows your ability to learn and think and work. You will be able to earn more money in a more interesting way. Maybe, if you find that you really really don't want to go to law school, there is another education you would like better? Maybe if you sell it right to your parents, they could end up being equally as proud of their son the biologist or historian or whatever?

Also college is a good place to meet intelligent people, nothing is more depressing than being around people who don't get you. Working low paid mcjobs among ignorant people is going to waste your youth like nothing else.

2) If your parents are trying to force you into a lifestyle that you don't want, then they are not really supporting you. Now I don't say, that you should break up with your parents. But if you had other people in your life, friends to talk to, your parents opinion might become less important. There is a difference between being emotionally dependent and economically dependent.

In my early college days I was economically and emotionally dependent on my mum and really depressed about it. I tried to cope with it by thinking of her as my sponsor, like sports teams have sponsors. You've got to keep the sponsor happy by showing up to dinners and showing some results. But never let the sponsor influence team tactics.

Should you decide to stay in law school, you could consider finding somebody to study with, since you mention having a hard time getting it done. Sometimes just having an appointment with some people in the library helps, even if you don't study the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  8. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I don't really see myself as a lawyer in the future, I like art, thearter, movies stuff like that I would love to do something in that field but realistically my chances are slim to none, I don't really have any goals in life they vary sometimes I want a good job, nice house, a family, friends. Other times I just want to be left alone and watch tv in my studio apartment, I have no idea if law school will bring me closer to my goals.

My realationship with my parents is complicated they weren't bad parents but they did the best they could considering their own warped view of the world and their own demons, plus they are they are the people who have supported me fincially and emotionally, when one else would. They make some valid points about staying in school but its not their life so I don't know what to do with them all I know is if I upset them too much they will never speak to me again (yes they are like that). As far studying I just need to get up and stop being lazy and do it.

Still none of my options seem promising and I really am loosing hope by the day :(

9. pinkpetals33

How do you get in social situation?
    In what way? Do these people do or say things directly?

10. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

My doctor is big on exposure therpay so I try and force myself into social situations by school events, tagging along with people going out, or just showing up at places I know people I know are going to be at (that is a last recourse though), but I can tell in conversations when people don't actually want to talk with me, when they are bored, when they want to leave, when they don't want me around, exc.

11. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

You can do a lot of great things with a Law Degree. You could be a very good lawyer and help lots of people with it. The world needs 'good' lawyers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.