No emotion

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by aki, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I'm kind of scared about writing this....cause I just feel abnormal and bad...:unsure:
    I don't seem to feel any emotion about really terrible things in life like a member of my family dying or getting seriously ill. If I imagine those things happening I don't feel sad or scared at all. I just feel.....nothing.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me yet, except a few years ago when my nan had a seizure of some kind in front of me and my sister. Everyone else was totally freaking out and trying to make her go to the hospital. I just didn't feel that worried at all...

The weird thing is I would consider myself pretty sensitive in most other aspects of life...I am quite empathetic with others and things do hit me quite hard, like stuff on the news, even in films or books. And I dwell on things and take offence pretty easily. It's just that death...doesn't affect me really.

2. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Hi weirdo ripper,

I can understand to an extent, im also very sensitive and on the occasion i find when someone gets ill or something happens sometimes im like you and dont really have any feelings on it, like i just go cold and dead inside.
    Perhaps its a coping mechanism, if your really sensitive on things that aren't directly to do with you like the news etc than something that happens around you to someone you love might just be to much to deal with and the reality of the situation doesnt really sink in? i dont know if that makes sense or is right because im not very insightful on the workings of the mind unfortunately.

3. Wow. Someone else who has the same thing.

I completely understand, because I get that too.

Do you find you seem to feel nothing and then suddenly, out of the blue, you'll see a video, read something, or hear a story or a song, and that makes you feel sad/angry/emotional? I do. It's horrible, not least because it's so confusing :sad:

I don't know if this will help, but I find it helps me at least, to just ignore emotions for a bit. I know that sounds strange, and I don't mean for any long period of time, but just for a bit when it's gets too confusing. Just try relying on common sense to decide how you should be feeling for a bit. And then let emotions take over again when they kick in.

I hope it helps you, because it works most of the time for me :smile:

4. heartlessfaceless

heartlessfaceless Active Member

i thought it was just me that was like that...its good to know that im not =)

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

There is a homeostatis which allows us to take in only what we can handle...if you feel numb to something you would otherwise feel, maybe you are inherently overwhelmed and cannot take in any more...just my 2 sense, J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.