No Excuses Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

pit

The TV's on right now. Here's another message for you to keep pressing on no matter what. The reporter said, "Here's a story about a football player with cancer who would not let the disease prevent him from achieving his dreams." I should turn off the TV. One of many messages which make me feel like shit.

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
Pit, people have different troubles and different resources to help them through their troubles.

We really can't "compare" because so many things are so variable for each of us - so please don't feel like crap. Just be safe and do the best you can manage to keep going, hun. :hug:

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I second what Acy just said hun don't feel that way okay don't compare to others as we all have different supports some have so many while others have none Keep reaching out here this place is one of those supports we can all relay on hugs

Speedy

Staff Alumni
I can relate, Pit. :hugtackles:

My country loves those feel-good stories, and they are heartwarming to many, hence all these stories that are on TV, in newspapers, etc.

When I'm not feeling well, I can't stand seeing those types of commercials or stories being broadcasted. While I'm evidently supposed to "feel good and possibly look up to those "heroes"", I don't and instead I feel like a worthless person for the time being.

Speedy

Staff Alumni
You do have an excuse, and therefore others should not expect you to be that "feel-good, hard-working, never-giving-up story." We as humans are limited, all to different degrees.

Most of all, feeling down and depressed has to do with the mind's thinking, and thus is in a different ballpark from being physically diseased (e.g. cancer, which you mentioned as in that commercial). I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, but that's what came to my mind just now. Our personalities/characteristics vary widely too. Some don't recover from cancer; some who are crippled never get back up again and walk, no matter how hard they try to. Gah, Please bear with me. :hugtackles:

In a nutshell, I think what I've been trying to say is that those people on T.V. have their own hardships and we have our own. Each of us are different individuals with different obstacles in our way, and thus we should not judge ourselves by comparing ourselves to people posted on placards with their strengths all in black and white and fewer of their weaknesses. After all, we can only do so much in our lives. Truthfully, I think love and care means so much more than whether we battle and achieve and get approved by the majority of people we meet.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

pit

You do have an excuse, and therefore others should not expect you to be that "feel-good, hard-working, never-giving-up story." We as humans are limited, all to different degrees.

Most of all, feeling down and depressed has to do with the mind's thinking, and thus is in a different ballpark from being physically diseased (e.g. cancer, which you mentioned as in that commercial). I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, but that's what came to my mind just now. Our personalities/characteristics vary widely too. Some don't recover from cancer; some who are crippled never get back up again and walk, no matter how hard they try to. Gah, Please bear with me. :hugtackles:

In a nutshell, I think what I've been trying to say is that those people on T.V. have their own hardships and we have our own. Each of us are different individuals with different obstacles in our way, and thus we should not judge ourselves by comparing ourselves to people posted on placards with their strengths all in black and white and fewer of their weaknesses. After all, we can only do so much in our lives. Truthfully, I think love and care means so much more than whether we battle and achieve and get approved by the majority of people we meet.

Alex
Very true and very profound. :hugtackles:

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
I always wish I could do better, so I am also very sensitive to those stories. One the face, I know I should find them inspirational, but sometimes, I hear them as my failure...I wish I could change the narrative that hears them that way...just to say I truly relate...J

I always wish I could do better, so I am also very sensitive to those stories. One the face, I know I should find them inspirational, but sometimes, I hear them as my failure...I wish I could change the narrative that hears them that way...just to say I truly relate...J
don't compare yourself with another person. As long as you find yourself able to achieve your own goal, it's victory already. My mum slipped and falls on the ground and her leg is still in a cast and moving around on wheels. I can understand the fustration. :hug:

Sometimes the stories "chicken soup for the soul" really made me feel like shit even though it inspire/motivate me all the time..

Too often we see these "inspiring" stories about people who've done this that or the other despite having cancer or some other condition. What doesn't get pointed out is that these people are, generally, doing something which pushes them, but which they enjoy. When you have depression, or some other mental illnesses, that sense of enjoyment of life, things in general, isn't there: that's part of the illness.
In these "inspiring" stories, people may be doing something for others, like raising money, but they're also getting something out of it themselves. The fact that they're ill has opened up opportunities to do something they've always wanted to do, or have always enjoyed. That's not to say that I'm dismissing what they do, but if you have depression, you forget what it feels like to enjoy something, you have problems finding motivation. Sometimes it takes more effort to just get out of bed and face the world than it does to run a marathon. Unfortunately, no-one's going to sponsor you so you can raise money for a charity by getting up each day, or wearing clean clothes.:depressed::sleepy::shower::toothbrush::clap:

Too often we see these "inspiring" stories about people who've done this that or the other despite having cancer or some other condition. What doesn't get pointed out is that these people are, generally, doing something which pushes them, but which they enjoy. When you have depression, or some other mental illnesses, that sense of enjoyment of life, things in general, isn't there: that's part of the illness.
In these "inspiring" stories, people may be doing something for others, like raising money, but they're also getting something out of it themselves. The fact that they're ill has opened up opportunities to do something they've always wanted to do, or have always enjoyed. That's not to say that I'm dismissing what they do, but if you have depression, you forget what it feels like to enjoy something, you have problems finding motivation. Sometimes it takes more effort to just get out of bed and face the world than it does to run a marathon. Unfortunately, no-one's going to sponsor you so you can raise money for a charity by getting up each day, or wearing clean clothes.:depressed::sleepy::shower::toothbrush::clap:
Well written.. :) To me getting out of bed just to go to the toilet during my suicidal days were more than just an ultra-marathon/ironman..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00