No Guarantees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think about death, being dead, dying quite frequently. Morbid, maybe but that is how my brain works. Through therapy I have learned that my thoughts of death have the same meaning: "an end to this constant emotional pain named depression."

My therapist asked me how I knew the pain would end if I died.

And that's a question.

Physical pain may end because the nerves are dead and unable to fire...the brain is dead and unable to receive pain signals.

Is emotional pain the same as physical pain?
After surgery, my physical pain was blocked by morphine. But my emotional pain was constant. So at the very least the pain is different.

Is emotional pain felt in the brain or is it part of our consciousness?
People with near death experiences have not been able to answer this question.
Science hasn't answered the question.

Since there are no guarantees, I continue.

littlestarsmum

I’m so sorry to hear about your struggles. Words seem inadequate to convey my care and concern for you. Depression is a very complex issue that deserves personal and in-depth attention. It’s good you’re seeing a therapist. I just said a prayer for you and I hope God will provide the comfort and help you need at this time. Peace to you.

Free@Last

A very thought provoking article. Due to my condition I have concentrated on the physical pain and not considered an ongoing emotional pain after. I thank you for making me consider this. In relation to pain I think pain is pain whether physical or emotional and we all have our personal thresholds for either kind. I am glad you will continue and glad you posted.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi and welcome. No one will obviously ever be able to answer that question but I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Keep talking to us here and I hope you feel somewhat better soon.

In relation to pain I think pain is pain whether physical or emotional and we all have our personal thresholds for either kind.
I'm not sure if physical pain is the same as emotional pain. During my three month break from reality I experienced vivid dreams and nightmares. My dreams and nightmares were absent of physical pain but the dreams were plagued by my emotional pain and anxieties. I chose to see this as further evidence to support my thinking that emotions are part of our consciousness and not our physical bodies.

And I chose to believe, after death, it is our consciousness that survives.

It is these two beliefs that keep me going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00