No health care

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Daphna, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Imagine a world where health care as we know it no longer exists due to price gauging, and greed? This is hypothetical. How would you feel? What would you do?

2. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I suppose we would all have to learn about alchemy and all the natural things such as homeopathy - just like in the times when you had witch doctors and white witches, but how many of us would be able to learn, let alone practice it?

Very interesting concept Daphna

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying. I often wonder if this might become a reality some day. What are your thoughts?

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

There is more than a possibility it might actually happen Freya - Here in the uk we have the National health Service which is free of charge to people, not just at the point of delivery, as Government tell us, but beyond - in that you can be treated in A&E/ER for free and go on to have operations free too - The trouble with that is it is costing the uk tax payer billions - Compared to other countries we in the uk are very lucky - I believe in the US, for example, you are required to have medical insurance, though there are hospitals which treat patients without means

So yes Freya, it could very well happen

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Since I am on the road to recovery, it would not affect me much..but yeah I can see how troublesome it would be for people to absolutely need their medication.

6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Congrats on your road to recovery!

7. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

this is not something difficult for me to imagine, as i have not been able to afford any sort of healthcare (and do not live in a nation or under conditions in which i have access to free or even semi-affordable healthcare) for many, many years. i have a lot of health problems, beyond my mental illness. they just continuously get worse and worse. there is nothing i can do about it, i accept it as a reality of my fucked up pathetic life.

8. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Honestly, it wouldn't affect me much. I'm living with no medicaid or insurance at the moment, so go years without some health care (last time I had a physical, I was... 14?) and months without psych care (I have been trying to get an appointment since February). I feel like it is already happening to me. Slowly, but surely. Ever since I turned 19 and lost medicaid, it seems the health care system is making it harder and harder on me. Each year, it gets harder to get any kind of treatment.

This is already a reality for some people. And it sucks. Yoga, meditation, lemon water... they are but band-aids. And some physical ailments require a lot more than a better diet and exercise. But for us, healthcare often isn't a viable option. Because when you have to choose between going to the doctor to get that lump looked at or feeding your family of four. Well, you're probably going to feed your family.

But I'm assuming you mean that it wouldn't even be available to people who can afford it. In which case, home remedies and natural treatments would probably become the norm, I guess.

ETA: You are kind of correct in assuming we're required to. Technically, we are. However, if we don't, we won't be arrested or anything. Any medical expenses will just be taken out of our taxes. The affordable health care act sounds nice in theory. But it really isn't. For some poor people - like my mom and myself - it's horrifying. Our quotes were expensive. Some 400 bucks a month. Which is cheap, if you're comfortably middle class (not even lower middle class, but comfortably). We're not. We're living off 10k a year. That's it. Our rent is 300 a month. We make about 100 a week. So, the math here is easy.

How do we live? Well, this is probably what the reality of no health care at all would be (as face it, many of us would not be able to adequately use holistic approaches without there being a lot of repercussions as we've been using modern medicine for so long:

my mom and I, essentially, ignore health problems until we have to be sent to the hospital. Ignore and deny.

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Thanks very much x

10. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

No I mean a world where only the rich are taken care of by physicians. The middle class and poor are left to die in the streets.

I often imagine that when something like this happens; the world will be in one of the worst states it has ever been in.

11. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Both statements are correct as far as I know. The ACA, or "Obamacare" as opponents call it, has individual mandates beginning this year, with penalties facing those who do not purchase insurance via an exchange or their employer. Low-income uninsured may be exempt from the penalty. The situation isn't so dire as leaving shriveled people in front of the hospital doors. Not yet, hopefully never.

But being uninsured has consequences in the USA. You must use clinics or hospitals that take such patients, and the range of conditions they will treat is limited. Painful but not life-threatening? Your quality of life may go down the drain untreated. It varies greatly depending just where in the USA you are; Utah actually has a better indigent system than average. You can still get prescription meds for mental health conditions if the one you need is on a generic formulary, yet Valley Mental Health and Weber Human Services only accept with Medicaid right now, so no counseling unless you have cash or insurance.

Now the torrent of acronyms flows:

Lots of uninsured can't qualify for Medicaid, which only goes to children, elderly, Social Security Disability, or single heads of household who draw TANF welfare. In other words, able-bodied adults without dependents are excluded. Children (but not their parents) can be subsidized by CHIP, upon a fee. A Utah family of 4 must make less than $2,700 a month to get this option. Utah and 24 other states declined the Medicaid expansion. The uninsured are completely on their own for dental care, although the PCN program in Utah may cover some cleanings and x-rays.

Twocky61's argument about taxes bears consideration--health care really isn't free in socialized medicine. But given finite resources, the rationing is done one way or another. The middle class in the USA opposes government intervention because some features of private plans could be dropped or become costly in a resource shift to the less well-to-do. American health care is so expensive--my psych ward last year cost over $23,000 for 9 days, of which I paid $700. If the hospital that treats me had to do everyone that way, its doors would shut pretty fast.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.