no health insurance in texas

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Sapphyree, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sapphyree

Sapphyree Member

I live in texas and am having trouble getting assistance as far as health care and prescriptions. I have a job as a waitress but lately it is getting really hard for me. I have had anxiety and depression for 10 years and havent seen a doctor or been on any meds for 3 years due to financial reasons. I have started self harming again and have been having thoughts of suicide. I am trying to control myself but i know i need to be on medication. So my question is do any of you know of any programs or anything that could get me the help i need? I am a single working adult female in the state of texas. I apologise if i posted this on the wrong forum but i couldnt figure out where it belongs.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Welcome to SF. I hope you may find some answers here and some support and company as well.

For your issues with healthcare/mental health - I am not familiar with Texas specifically but I would start in blue pages of telephone book and call you county mental health services. Most states have free programs for low income persons and likely they could offer if not direct assistance then at least point you in the right direction. If you can not find that in your area simply dial 211 - which is the state social services line (same in every state just like 911 and 411 but for different purpose) and let them give you the contact information for agencies that might be able to assist you. Also check for any advocacy or outreach programs that may be able to help you - these vary widely in scope and description from area to area.

Last I might suggest stopping by chat sometime if you get the chance - we have several members from Texas that spend a fair amount of time in chat and they may have some first hand knowledge of where to turn to for assistance.

Good luck ans Be Safe!

3. Sapphyree

Sapphyree Member

I dont know what you mean by blue pages. I tried the online 211 but no luck. I dont know what to do.
  4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Blue pages I believe are the pages in a telephone book with the numbers for local government agencies, usually at the beginning of the book... I know a lot of people don't get telephone books anymore though, so maybe you could try the website for the Texas department of Health and Human Services...

There's a link on the right hand side of the front page that tells you how to apply for assistance. Hope it helps!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.