No Help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by feathers, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I went to the doctors and told her how I felt suicidal. I told her how I'd thought about using knives and painkillers to kill myself and how the other night I had an hour long crisis where I felt an overwhelming urge to do this.

She didn't really help me at all apart from say that what I was going through was normal and that I seemed to have an okay control on myself, gave me a crisis number, booked me in for another appointment in 2 weeks and let me go get on with my life.

Why do they campaign for suicidal people to go get help, if people aren't going to do anything to help them? I don't want a crisis number for when I feel like I'm about to kill myself. I want something done so that it doesn't get to the point where I'm about to kill myself.

Now I just feel even worse that my attempt at getting help has failed.
  2. Daydreams

Daydreams Well-Known Member

This exact same thing happened to me when I spoke to my doctor, except at first she wasn't gonna help in any way, didn't give me a number or anything, I had to ASK for it.

But, there are people out there, I'm presumming this was your GP (I went to my doctor as well), perhaps there is a centre or something you can go to directly?

Thats the other thing that I did, my mum booked me into a place where I could talk to someone once a week or more if I felt I needed to. It helped just to talk to someone, hear that people did get through it.

If you just wanna talk I am online often and happy just to listen, so feel free to PM me.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Aaron..

I think you should ask your doctor to refer you to a therapist! I think thats where the real work starts, meds are only half the way.. :hug:

Keep reaching out x
  4. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi AK. Sorry to hear you've been through this. Seems to be exactly what I went through with them so I understand how you must be feeling. Glad you have found us here at SF because to be honest I've found more support and help from here than from anywhere else. Keep on at your gp though. It can be a painfully slow process to get anywhere with them but if you persevere you may get some good help. Don't just accept being foisted off with meds though. They can work for some people but as Lynn says demand a therapist to talk to as well. In the meantime you are always welcome to pm me if you need a chat. Tend to be around most days. Best wishes.
  5. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

I feel I have come through a major bout of depression and I stood on the very edge of killing myself. I went to the docs and all let it all out to him, the way I felt, what I planned to do and what I spent my whole day thinking about. All I got was a load of useless meds and told to "come back in a month". No therapist, councilling or whatever. Basically go and come back later - otherwise not interest.

I feel I have come out of it only because of a chain of events happened in my life which removed the very thing which caused my depression. It wasn't any meds, which made me feel worse and had a few unplesant side effects, but just my resolve to hang in there.

I would not say don't bother with docs or whatever, because I feel if someone had taken interest in me, I would have been pulled back from the brink of killing myself and perhaps I would have not got to that level of dispair.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.