No idea what to price

Fleury Dragon

Rawr 🐲
Chat Pro
SF Supporter
Hi all I've had some interest in one of my diamond paintings that went to an exhibition. Can't believe someone would want to buy it. Issue is that I have no idea what price to put on it.
P91126-181035(1).jpg
I've just checked prices for everything used to make it.
Diamond painting kit $73.00
Washi tape $2.42
Canvas ~ $15.00
These are all in New Zealand Dollars.
I know this wasn't an easy picture to make. Took around 100 hours work.
Picture is 60cm by 60cm adhered to a canvas.
Please give your honest opinions on what price you think it should be sold for.
Also please state what currency you are using so if necessary I can convert. Thank you

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni
Hmm, that’s a tough one. It must be a hard decision on what to put the price as. I think the best thing is to decide what you’d like to get for it. Have you got any idea of how much you’d like to sell it for? Is there anyone you could ask for advice with it professionally? It’s a very beautiful diamond painting *wub

Kira

•✮• SF Gelfling •✮•
SF Creative
SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Not really anyone I can ask, wondering if $250.00 New Zealand would seem too much
A few things I'd like to say. If someone is really taken by a piece of artwork then they will pay the asking price for it. I know that I would. Lol.
This picture is absolutely stunning and I must admit that if I was able to find the print of it then I would definitely buy it.
Considering the cost of materials, labour and size, I would say $280 - $290 NZ but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with selling it! If I'd had made it, there's no way I'd sell it! It's too beautiful *wub

Fleury Dragon

Rawr 🐲
Chat Pro
SF Supporter
Thank you all. I rang and spoke with the person. Told them how much the materials are worth and how much time was taken to complete the work. Said yes that I was reluctant to sell and that the asking price is $300.00. They were out at the time so had to talk with their wife but said they were keen. Said they would get back to me in the next 2 to 3 days. Only time will tell.

Dinolaur

Human by day, Dino by night
Staff Alumni
Thank you all. I rang and spoke with the person. Told them how much the materials are worth and how much time was taken to complete the work. Said yes that I was reluctant to sell and that the asking price is $300.00. They were out at the time so had to talk with their wife but said they were keen. Said they would get back to me in the next 2 to 3 days. Only time will tell.
That’s awesome fleur! Well done :) let’s hope they agree!

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
Hey @Fleurise that is really a brilliant work congratulations! Have you considered selling your works on ebay or etsy? I am not an art expert but I have sold some art stuff on similar sites back in the past, and I can tell you that for that size, you could sell them for higher prices. You should look into etsy especially. Just a tip, have a great day and again, wonderful job :)

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hey @Fleurise , for pricing up your work, I'd say add at least 50%, perhaps 100% of your material costs to the end price. As it's through an exhibtion, then no doubt they would want a cut of the proceedings and so I suppose you would want to avoid technically letting the buyer having your painting with the frame/canvass/materials thrown in free of charge.
To charge for the hours put in, I've noticed that in many cases artists use a length x width x price per square inch formula. I saw this online and perhaps it can offer some guidance on how much to charge for your work

https://messyeverafter.com/self-employed-journey/how-to-price-your-art/

Ixtab

To be honest people sell art and all kind of things on Instagram, I doubt the tax man would find out but I don’t sell art. I’ve bought car parts off Instagram before where they hashtag a photo of some wheels for sale with the size like #5x100 18” Whatever wheels. I met a few people who are living in rv’s and their “followers” watch their videos and pay for them to go to different places and make more videos. Seems cool but rv bathroom is not ideal haha.

Anyways I would sell them on social media and have in the description price and how you want to paid (venmo, crypto, gift cards, etc).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00