No insurance. Is a therapist or meds still possible?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Kugatsu, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kugatsu

Kugatsu Active Member

I'm in it for a very long haul of pure depression so I'm actually considering therapy, or at the very least some kind of anti-depression regiment cause I really don't know how I'm going to live with myself if I don't blind myself to the hopelessness that my life has become somehow. Problem is that I don't have any insurance. I also have a loser retail job with low pay so I don't know how I would pay for anything out of pocket. I just don't know but I need to know if it's somehow possible. Is this something that I can hope to at least be able to try or is it another hopeless thought.
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where you live in the world...

But in Australia, there is a medicare mental health plan that the GP can set up for you. This allows reduced costs for 12 sessions. It's not much but it's something at least.

Also some therapists work on a sliding scale. So depending on how much money you make, that determines their charge.

Hope you can find the help you need :)
  3. Kugatsu

Kugatsu Active Member

Ok, that's on the other side of the world for me so anyone with advice for the new york area of america would be great.
  4. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

There are therapists who will work with you on a sliding scale in America as well. He/She would probably also be able to direct you to a program that would at least let you get medication at a discount. I am in a program that lets me have them for free but I live in Texas. But I'm sure there is something similar in New York.
  5. tired82

tired82 Well-Known Member

i was fortunate my psychiatrist treated me when i lost my insurance for a good 6 months. i was on Pristiq & Seroquel, which she had samples of, and she also gave me a voucher for free Pristiq prescription - just had to go to different pharmacies to fill.

for low income NY residents, there's Healthy NY
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

i'm also in texas and involved in a program where i don't pay for my psychiatrist or drugs. i will say the psychiatrist is mostly useless but the drugs seem to help some. i also see a counselor at a community resource center that uses students from a masters program of a university in my town as the counselors. the sessions are on a sliding scale and i pay $20 a week. still it adds up but this has been at least somewhat beneficial.
  7. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

There may also be county programs, in addition to whatever state ones there are.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.