• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

No Luck

Mysticrose

I'm still staying in a hotel and I'm still unemployed. You would think they would be hiring CNAs left and right because of COVID-19. I found a nice apartment that's about a 30 minute walk to work. It's all bills paid and rent is cheap. The community also feels welcoming but my application will be on hold until I get hired. What also concerns me is if I'll like my job. I know being a CNA is more work than working at a daycare. Ever since I left my first job as a CNA I've been working at daycares. Children are easier to lift and change, and I just like working with children all together. I'm planning to get my ADN in pediatric nursing once I'm settled. But I'm worried about not passing nursing school. I had struggled the first time I studied nursing.

MisterBGone

Were you looking to get your RN, then? And is that where the trouble lied, in the beginning? I wonder if they still have LPN’s, I was told (or so I thought...) that they were being phased out, but I still see nurses with them on their ID’s at the hospital I frequent. Just wondering if that might be more attainable, until you can settle into something more advanced, so to speak? There’s nurses on the boards here, so if you have any questions, I’m sure someone could chime in with some guidance, or perhaps some other ideas, of what might be done as an alternative that still does pay the bills. I know a popular choice at our local community college that has a top notch nursing program (it’s starting to sound more like trying to get into dental school to me!), that it is said, within the nursing community with which I have gathered feedback, that those nurses coming onto the floor or unit, whatever it’s called at the hospitals in town (we have two primary ones), that they are way more prepared to go from day one, than their private / catholic school counterparts; who have to also get a four year degree as part of their nursing program. So while those extra book smarts might come in handy for certain things - like maybe administrative means or something, they don’t pay off, at least in the beginning , to the more hands on training the others get (cost a whole lot more, too, unless you’re on scholarship). :D
But what I meant to say, before getting sidetrack, is that the dental hygiene program is also wildly popular, and at least a little bit less rigorous, perhaps only by direct comparison in terms of size or scope. But to suggest it is easy, I think, would be a fallacy, or misnomer. But apparently, they can make a decent salary, given what they’ve got to do in relation to time spent in school and what not. They’ve also got things like X-Ray techs, and P. T. Assistants, etc. however I have no idea or clue as to what their salaries may be. Another thing to consider before diving in is how the job market looks for the given chosen field. When my friend got her O. T. Graduate degree, she told me (& it was like a class of 30 out of 180 applicants - though this was some time ago...) that there were usually something like 5 year trends, where one or the other would get or be hot (in between physical and occupation therapies), but I don’t know if that still holds true to this day? : )

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$255.00