No other options

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Rhada87, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhada87

Rhada87 New Member

Following a string of financial bull, I find myself homeless, jobless, £12k in debt, and penniless.

I've always struggled with depression, anxiety and feeling suicidal at the best of times. Now, I just don't see the point. I didn't think life could get harder and more arbitrarily painful and meaningless. What am I supposed to do? Giving up seems like the only rational choice.

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Welcome to the forum @Rhada87

Are there community resources that you can reach out to? What about friends/family that you could stay with?
    *hugs*

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Welcome to SF.
    I'm sorry but killing yourself is not rational. I know you are feeling like it is but it should never be considered an option. Have you checked out resources that could be useful for you? Do you qualify for government housing? I really hope you can get through this dark time and we will be here to help you through it.

4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

If you are jobless and homeless, the rational thing to do is to go to Citizens Advice and get help getting the debt written off. There are several pieces of legislation in place now in the UK for people who have no possible means of paying off their debts. It doesn't even have to mean bankruptcy since you have between £10k and £15k of debt. Find your local Citizens Advice and make an appointment - it is free and they can definitely help you lose that debt or at least the very vast majority of it.

They will also help you get access to the services you need to find housing and get your life back together. Giving up isn't the rational thing to do - getting help is the rational thing to do. You do not have to do this alone and there are services that can and will help you.

5. Rhada87

Rhada87 New Member

Thanks people. Got through yesterday after a sleepless night of catastrophising (if that's not a real word, it is now...) and managed to get myself together enough to contact CAB as recommended. Doctor review on Friday so just trying to hold out until then... looking even beyond that seems utterly overwhelming :(

I'm really worried about the lack of housing. My partner's parents have very generously provided me with a place to crash and store what little possessions I've got left in their garage, but even 3 days later the feeling of being a burden is causing more problems than shelter solves... yet if I just rough it out on the streets my partner would be livid... feel trapped by 2 types of guilt. Does that even make sense? I really do feel part of the temptation of ending it all is just so others don't have to be put out or distressed by my being there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.