No point

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by astella, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astella

astella Well-Known Member

First of all, please don't post here or read these posts if you're suicidal at all.

Okay, so basically I don't find there to be any point in living. You will die eventually, and any impact you may have on the world, in the vast majority of cases, won't be significant. That said, why is even having an impact desirable other than because it gives you a good feeling to know that after you die something you did will be remembered? If attempting suicide gave you a good feeling, I doubt those of you who oppose it would all kill yourselves. Then there's also the argument that you will make your "loved ones" sad. They will basically forget about you anyway. They won't really forget about you necessarily, but they'll live their everyday life as if you never existed, maybe recalling you on your birthday or every now and again. Depending on many factors, it might be everyday for years or never. But like with my previous example, why does their likely very temporary sadness matter? That sadness exists mainly because they're told by society to be sad when someone they know dies. The justification they have for being sad is that they don't get to interact with you anymore. They have plenty of other people to interact with, so they'll get over it.
  2. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I agree in principle w/ what you've written. But, hey NOBODY knows when my birthday is and I've always been a monster at holidays. So I would be no big loss at any of that. As far as the future-who knows, you may be the next Goldie Hawn! Don't throw that away, and whatever you do, don't miss your first bris. It could really change your outlook!:wink:
  3. astella

The birthday thing was just an example. If people are going to mourn someone's death two years later, it's probably going to only be on their birthday or some other "significant" day. For me, I'd guess I'd be remembered on my birthday for a few years at least, not that I care.

Oh and I'm male, just so you know. I just realized my username might give that impression, since you have nothing else to base my sex off of. I also had to look up bris, but based on the definition I read, I don't really understand your comment. Sorry, it's around 5:00 A.M. here and I haven't slept, so I'm thinking less clearly than usual.
  4. Mortem

Mortem Well-Known Member

Very true, the world moves on with or without you. Nothing new, but I came to re-reflect on that yesterday when dad told me about this person who used to live in a house nearby. They used to hang out as kids, then that guy died at 12 and dad lived on til now. That's all there is to it really, a fading memory. We've always had 3 dogs - when the oldest dies we get a new one, things just move on, and that's probably the way it should be.

Would things be any better if everything was eternal? Seems just as pointless to me.

As for how people get over losses of others I guess that varies. There used to live this family here, who lost their daughter in a car accident. First the mother broke down and killed herself, then the father a year later. But the chain ended there, the rest moved on and forgot about it. By leaving earlier than expected you leave more natural resources for those who live on to share. So in a sense people should be grateful instead of sad, but that's not how the mechanism of society works. :wink:
  5. SkyHigh

SkyHigh Guest

You have managed to say what my brain never could in words.
  6. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

You have some good points. But saying we are brainwashed by society to feel sad when someone dies, I have to disagree.

Look at peoples relationships with dogs. This is proof society doesn't tell us to feel sad, but that it is intrinsic and animal.

I'm sure you have heard of dogs risking their lives to save their masters. Dogs 'weeping', snuggling up to their elderly owners during their final moments. You could argue this is merely a selfish response because they are going to miss out on being fed. But I say no, it is deeper then that. I am sure we do weep for ourselves, but we genuinely also weep for others altruistically in my view.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  7. astella

You're correct, a sense of altruism likely plays a role too. I usually try to note that this type of stuff is both biological and environmental, but didn't this time. :p
  8. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Some Valid points there but only if your a robot.

As human-beings its within us to feel emotions right. When people lose a loved one, their sad because of the connection which is lost in some way. Example being physical. But that person lives on in your memories and is apart of you, as you are apart of them.

As for having an impact on the world. Is that what you want, to have an impact on the world. For some people just having an impact on the one's they love is everything to them in the universe.
  9. astella

You're only a "part of them" in that they recall your existence. They will die too, the only difference is you're dying sooner rather than later. In the end, humanity and its creations aren't likely to exist for another million more years. The only thing that makes life worth living is subjective experiences, but I don't care about subjective experiences so I don't see a need to live.

No I don't. I'd like if some of my ideas were preserved, but even that doesn't matter much to me.
  10. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

You've made some good points, astella. As for my two cents, I'd say it really depends on how the person in question sees life and what it is he/she wants out of it. There isn't any one explanation that can sum it up, why they're alive, for everyone because of the sheer range of philosophies people have on life. Some people find pleasure in what you or I might call pain and vice versa.

About the dying though, I think you might be breaking it down too much. Human beings are social creatures, it is true that society conditions us to feel sorrow when a loved one passes away, it shows respect and care, emotions deemed right by society. Yet, it's only an influence, the bottom line is if you loved that person, they brought you some kind of happiness, pleasure, comfort and now they are gone, you will never see them again, you will never feel those specific feelings that person made you feel ever again and that is why you feel sad, the loss.

What is the future if not the distant present? All of this won't be around in another million years; Depending on your perspective, that's either all the more reason to extract as much from your present and prepare for the future or what makes any effort you put in pointless. If you enjoy living it's only natural you don't want it to end so you go until it's over. Like playing a video game, you go throughout the entire story knowing whether you finish it or not makes no real difference in the grand scheme, yet you play it anyway because it's fun and you want to do it as long as possible even if it must end, you don't seek any point other than the fact that it makes you happy to do it.

If you don't enjoy living then where is the point? There isn't one.
  11. astella

Thanks for your post. I guess that since I truly don't enjoy living for many, many reasons--a big one being that I'm a human and as such have the negative qualities humans tend to have--that I would be best dead after all. It's only going to go downhill from here anyway, and as you said, the future is only the distant present. :wink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.