No Relief

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by megtheshmeg, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. megtheshmeg

megtheshmeg New Member

Please share with me your ideas on how to get relief without hurting myself. I'm desperate.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi Meg,

There are a few things that you can try. If you are a regular self harmer, it can be hard to just "stop" if you haven't learned any other coping mechanisms. When I used to self harm when I got the urge I used to get an ice cube and press it hard on my skin. It is very painful, but it doesn't leave any lasting damage. You can also wrap an elastic band round your wrist, and pull it whenever you get the urge to self harm. It's a short, sharp pain but again it leaves no long lasting damage. If you start doing this then you can learn other coping mechanisms in the mean time. Different things suit different people, but normally the first thing people do is use distraction. They may go for a walk, do a bit of exercise, draw, paint, play an instrument etc there are lots of different things. I used to write. I used to write what was exactly going through my mind, even if it didn't make sense the rip up the piece of paper afterwards.

Whilst learning how to stop self harming it's a good idea that you get some professional support whilst doing so because it reduces your chances of relapse, and you can address the issues which cause you to self harm in the process.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Do you want to talk about what you are trying to get relief from? That can be a starting point and the key to success in battling this. We will listen :hugs:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.