No rest for the wicked

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Starsha, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starsha

Starsha Member

All alone in the middle of the night, I hate television but it's on in the back ground... I read, but, my eyes start to hurt. I read, on average, a book every 2 days. I can't sleep before 7-8am and then I get up around 1pm sometimes if I am lucky I can sleep well on until 3-4pm...

I take 20mg of ambien at night along with 800mg of Seroqeul and 2mg of Klonopin... one would think this is enough, but, it's not. I've talked to my psych and he said that I need to come off the ambien for a while (2 months) and he's going to increase my seroquel. Then get me back on the ambien to see if it starts working again.

I have tried every sleeping pill there is... none work except ambien. I would absolutely love for someone to prescribe a shot of thorazine for me to take each night... that would certainly do the trick.

I hate these late hours because I feel even more alone than usual.

~s

2. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I've taken thorazine......too mild for me. And the more you take seroquel the less it knocks you out. You've tried everything? Lunesta? Ambien CR? Restoril? Valium? Soma? Xanax? Obviously if you're used to ambien natural sleep aids like Kava Kava root/Valerian Root won't work? Have you tried exercising yourself to complete exaustion?

3. Starsha

Starsha Member

I've tried everything sleep aid you mentioned, but, ambien is still the only one that truly works for me (20mg at night). I just have to come off it a month or two so that it will work again the way it's supposed to. i don't take ambien CR, I take the old school ambien. I just wasn't able to fall asleep on the new ambien and stay asleep for some odd reason, especially since those are the two reasons to switch to it from regular ambien.

i can't do kava kava it makes me itch really bad, valerian root, i've chewed on but it just made me relaxed, not slepy. i found i was allergic to lunesta after the first night i tried it. my throat started swelling closed and I was itching all over, so had a visit to the ER where I was told I was allergic to it. Resoril, NO, I've not tired that one I don't think, Rozerem I have tried and that stuff is pure SHITE. I takes about 10 Valium to calm my anxiety, so, i would be afraid at how many it would take to knock me out. Xanax only has a 1/2 life in my system (and most peoples) compared to Klonopin. I can go 2 days or so w/out klonopin because it hangs with you for a while, Xanax just makes me mellow. I can eat about 10 4 bars and feel just spacey and out of it but it doesn't knock me out (too many manic, rushing thoughts is my problem)... but it does seem the Ambien w/Seroquel does truly work for me... most nights anyway. Right now I am on a break from my ambien, but, should be back on it come 11/28/07 when I see my doctor again. I am also going to see what else he suggests (I depend/rely on meds more than anything, I have a very weak will and don't do too good with mind over matter).

I use to kick box and now do simple yoga (i have a bad back) but the exercise (cardio mostly) just got my endorphins pumping and it takes a while for those to come down and so doing that in the evening before bed, to try to sleep, isn't a good idea, FOR ME.

I plan on talking more with my psych and see about getting in to a sleep study or something and see what the hell is wrong with me and why I do this... I mean, I have been up since 1pm yesterday afternoon (and after only 5 hours of sleep) I am sitting here wide awake bored out of my mind.

*sigh* I hate insomnia. hate hate hate it.

Any other sleep aid ideas, please, let me know.

Thanks for the response.

~s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.