No Smoking Day

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by *dilligaf*, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

National No Smoking Day was this week and I felt like I needed to post something about the sbject. Today is also nine months to the day since I lost my Nan to Smoking Related lung cancer. So I'm sure you can understand why I feel so strongly about this subject.

Here's a few facts I found out about smoking..
    * Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years
    *Smoking can cause lung cancer, heart attacks, strokes, paralysis, high blood pressure and even gangrene.
    * Smokers are more likely to get cancer than non-smokers. This is particularly true of lung cancer, throat cancer and mouth cancer, which hardly ever affect non-smokers.
    *Smoking is the most common cause of COPD and is responsible for 80 per cent of cases.
    *Couples who smoke are more likely to have fertility problems than couples who are non-smokers.
    *Smoking increases your risk of periodontal disease, which causes swollen gums, bad breath and teeth to fall out.
    *Smoking causes an acid taste in the mouth and contributes to the development of ulcers.
    *Smoking also affects your looks: smokers have paler skin and more wrinkles. This is because smoking reduces the blood supply to the skin and lowers levels of vitamin A.

Also, by smoking you risk damaging those around you as much as you do yourself.

There are a number of ways that you can get help to quit smoking including:
    *Transdermal patches (which stick to your skin) and which are available in formulations that release nicotine for either 16 hours or 24 hours.
    *Chewing gum that is available with either 2mg or 4mg of nicotine.
    *Inhalators which look like a plastic cigarette and through which nicotine is inhaled (breathed in),
    *Tablets and lozenges which are placed under your tongue.
    *Nasal spray which works by passing nicotine through the lining of your nose.

And once you have managed to quit you will notice many good changes in your health including:
    *less coughing,
    *better breathing,
    *feeling healthier,
    *cleaner clothes,
    *more money, and
    *a significantly lower risk of you, and your family, developing smoking-related illnesses.

I know it seems hard to give up. After all smoking is an addiction just like drugs, alcohol or self harm. But I beg you to think about it. Is that stick you put in your mouth really worth it? I don't want anyone else to go through what I am going through right now after loosing someone due to them smoking.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/smokehealth.htm
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=437&sectionId=176

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

You know. Nobody hates cigarettes and smoking as much as an addicted smoker who simultaneously wants to quit and yet doesn't. That probably doesn't make sense to people who don't smoke.

I've been simultaneously in love and in hate with cigarettes for many years. I want to quit. I hate myself every time I smoke a cigarette and yet I'm never more at peace than I am when I'm contained within it's lethal embrace.

I will quit someday but not today. This isn't what you want to hear. I can't care. I should but that would require me to stop long enough for my nicotine addiction to start to twist my insides into a state of anxiety that would cost me 5 extra cigarettes just to settle.

3. danni

danni Chat Buddy

from what i heard that one cig you can lose 7 sec of your memory and the way i been smoking i probably lost half :sad:

4. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

all the more reason to stop :yes:

5. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

No it isn't. March 14th is Pi Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_day

And a happy 3.14 (159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937151028850...) to all y'all.

6. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

No, it's no smoking day :smile: look at the bottom of the main forum page

7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Not trying to burst any bubbles, but no smoking day was actually March 12th.

Source.

8. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Message still remains the same :yes:

9. danni

danni Chat Buddy

yea but sam easy said then done but i'm trying.

10. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Had no idea there even was a No Smokin Day in existence. :happyno:

But now I have a goal for next year.

11. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Well done Why :hug:

:hug: Danni keep trying

12. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Sam asked me to edit the date on her first post. All done :smile:

13. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

I quit smoking the day after the smoking ban, on july 1st, after smoking every day for 6 years.
    Yeah, it was hard. Very hard. But i just bloody did it. I put a 10th of the energy i normally put into hating myself into and just did it.
    It was very much worthwhile.

14. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

Let people do what they want.
    The risks are there, people know what they are.
    And the taxes from cigarettes cover the extra costs related to treating them.
    Peace.

15. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Well done Diluted.

This has nothing to do with money. It's to do with loosing someone you love. Stopping preventable illnesses and making people healthier :dry:

16. Testify

And it's about you telling people what to do. Let's not mince words, here. Let people smoke if they want, stop harassing them and making them feel bad.

17. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Im not doing any of that.

At the end of the day if people want to smoke, then they are going to. And nothing I (or anyone else) says or does is gonna change that. It's about giving them the facts so they can make a wiser choice

18. Testify

Uhm.
    But they know the facts.
    Have you never seen a pack of cigarettes/tobacco? No-one can plead ignorance.

19. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

What's wrong with me trying to raise awareness of lung cancer?

20. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

No one is saying there is anything wrong with it..But remember, it is the soap box, opinions might differ from your own, and everyone should at least try and respect them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.