No, you dont really need it

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by moment_of_silens, Nov 25, 2006.

1. not in my opnion. Medications is just another way to alter your mind and to try and "fix" you. Alot of people that get medication for help end up being dependent on it. Plus who really knows the long term effects? I started taking meds when I was 15. I took them for 2 years, not willingly. I gained weight, my eating and sleeping habbits changed. I still always felt depressed. I can HONESTLY tell you that I feel much better now that I am not on them. I never needed them. My parents just thought that would fix me, I was never broken. Just sad. angry, and whatever. But I became more sad and more angry when i was on medication. I would literally flip out when someone pissed me off. It wasnt me, that was the meds talkin. I couldnt bare ever hurting anyone. Suicidal thoughs, yeah they increased when I was on meds. As a matter of fact the only atttemps I made of suicide was when I was on medication. Another thing about taking pills. . .my parents would alway believe they could tell when I wasnt taking them. They always nlamed me for not taking my meds when I did get mad, or sad. They thought that medication would make it go away, I always knew that it wouldnt. Yet I always took the pills. There were so many that they put me on because nothing seemed to help. Another thing I didnt like about them was the tatse in my mouth that wouldnt go away. Plus tremors. I still get that after being off the meds. I have now been off for about 3 and a half years. They never not once helped me. . .they didnt keep me here. I did. I never wanted to die. I just wanted to live. But I know that I will. Still working on that. But with faith, I know thats coming. . .what about you?

2. sadsong

sadsong Staff Alumni

Im sorry that meds didn't help you, but it's good you're managing to help yourself.

Just because they didn't help you, it doesn't mean that they won't help anyone. I've found meds to help me a great deal. I've been on these ones for nearly 2 years and i don't know how long i'll be on them for.

There is no guarantee that meds will work, but surely it's still worth people giving them a go, but it does take more than a little pill to pull through. Determination and hard work are also necessary.

3. Its just my opnion that people dont really need that.

4. raw

raw Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Medications help some people and not others. The need for medications often depends on the type and severity of the problems.

I am glad you are able to manage without medications because that is obviously the best alternative. But I can honestly say without medications, I would not be able to function at all.

Rick

5. live

live Antiquitie's Friend

I had a friend with serotonin problems in his brain. He got so depressed, he thought that the FBI was after him. A little med, and *ding!*, he stopped having paranoia immediately, and never relapsed. So some people definitely need meds. Still, I'm glad you found your way off of them and on through life.

6. lost soul

lost soul Guest

Hi

I know that I need meds, I thought I didnt and stopped taking them and there was a drastic downhill spiral.

I am glad you can manage with out, but not every one can.

7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I'm glad you're able to manage without medication, but that's not the case with me. I've heard the analogy that meds are like a 'crutch' that you depend on for a while but then don't need anymore. In some cases that may be true, but in my case my antidepressants are more like an 'artificial leg' that I need to function as well as possible. My whole family has a genetic tendency towards depression. I can manage my life and events and situations much better when I'm taking my sertraline HCl every day. It keeps the depression from becoming overwhelming.

So meds are helpful for some, not for others... just like lots of things - it depends on the individual.

least

8. iracund

iracund Antiquities Friend

i don't see meds as a crutch or a form of escape. i have a disease, and i do my best to treat it. if i had cancer, i would try my damndest to treat it what whatever means were available to me. if i had diabetes, i would likely follow whatever regiment i was prescribed by my doctor to stay healthy.

the same goes with my psych meds. i can't fix the chemistry in my brain, all i can do is try to give it the chemicals it's lacking and hope that they keep at bay all the evil thoughts that brain cooties are prone to bestowing upon their hosts. no meds? i'm a careening, cycling, unpredictable, reckless mess of a human being. with meds? i have control and am learning more and more how to control the irresponsible urges/desires that still keep me on my toes.

i see them as no more of a crutch than a plaster is for a broken arm or a painkiller is for a broken back.

don't get me wrong, it would be awesome not to need to take anything to keep myself from bouncing around the world, an unpredictable ball of energy and acute lethargy, but that, i've discovered, really isn't an option. if you can get through your life without the aid of medication, great. but that doesn't mean that everyone has that good fortune.

as for me? i'm going to try to be as med compliant as i can (i'm really trying this time!!) so that i can have some stability in my life after a long time dealing with ... the polar opposite of it.

9. tphillip

tphillip Member

Not an unreasonable opinion. Thomas Szasz is probably the most controversial person championing that idea in psychiatry. He argues that psych medication is over-prescribed, can do more harm than good, and aren't necessary.

I agree with him to a point, but unlike him I think that we shouldn't ignore the benefits of medication until psychology/psychiatry moves out of the stone age. A lot of the mental health field is still more art/voodoo than actual hard science. I can't see abandoning tools that are effective for many people just because or principle or we don't understand how the drugs work.

Anyone interested in his opinions should read some of his, or his protege Petter Breggin, works. Don't have to agree with him, but it's an interesting point of view into mental illness and the field in general.

10. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I'm glad you have your opinion but I hope you realise that you may influence someone who needs medication not to take it with in the long run could cause more harm then good. :unsure:

(by the way no offence intended, I've been in the mental health system since I was 4 years ols and in those years I've seen people not be effected but I've also seen people get the help they needed the little bit to keep them going in medication)

11. tphillip

tphillip Member

If the words of a single post by a pseudonym will radically change a person's thoughts about taking/not taking medication, then (IMO) that person needs to see qualified professional help now. No one should base any critical life decisions on any single source, much less a single post. So IMO I don't believe my post, or any post that I make, will overtly sway anyone in any direction or another. If someone finalizes their decision on any of my posts I would say the person had already made up their mind and used my writing for affirmation.

No offense is taken. Just want to explain where I'm coming from.

12. I am on non-narcotic meds & they restored my sanity. I know about the chance that they don't work for you. It took 3 years of trying different antipsychotics that didn't work. I am lucky that my meds erase all the symptoms of my illness. And I have to take the meds for life.

13. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I've been on medication for so long that I wouldn't know if they were working :mellow:

14. paranoidxe

paranoidxe Well-Known Member

Medications don't solve problems, people solve problems. By using medications you are only hiding whats wrong with your life and throwing it under the rug.

Say for instance you are married, you become depressed because your partner has failed to be responsible financially you go to the doctor because you are upset..you get the prescription for some anti-depressant. Suddenly you don't care anymore, is the problem actually solved? No, your partner went on to ruin your life financially you just don't care anymore.

Prescription drugs are "numbing" agents, they are great when you use them right..i.e. you take them and fix your problems or things that are bothering you (like a pain pill), but you are independent on them to fix your problems you aren't getting anywhere, in fact your problems are probably getting worse but you don't see them because they no longer effect you.

True there are some that truly have a brain chemical imbalance that the drugs actually FIX, but I think those cases are very far and few between. I think Doctor's are far to quick to give out anti-depressant drugs to fix problems. I swear I could say my dog died and I'm depressed and they'd throw me on a happy pill when in reality its normal to be depressed or upset during the time period. I'd really like to see if these anti-depressants have actually helped or hurt society as a hole..I wish we could see suicide rates or depression rates for 1995 and compare it to now cause really I think anti-depressants are one of the most abused substances right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  15. tphillip

tphillip Member

General Practitioners are "free" with the drugs because
    • The side effects and risks for the first "round" of treatment are close to zero
    • Ignoring the patient isn't an option (CYA)
    • Drugs are easier to get people to "do" than extended time with a counselor

Don't blame the doctor for the problems of their patients. The doc is faced with an impossible task: he really doesn't want to hand out drugs that aren't needed, but how do you show that a person is not depressed? With lawsuits, a sensational press, eager prosecutors, and no sound way to show that a person isn't suffering depression I'd do what most docs would do in the same situation: prescribe a "safe" antidepressant and go from there.

I disagree on the abuse part. Alcohol & caffeine are the most abused drugs in the US IMO.

As for reliable stats....You'll never get them. A significant portion of suicides are written off a "hunting accidents", "natural causes" and other terms that wouldn't allow them to be counted as a suicide. That's how suicides in males and the elderly are still largely ignored by society as a whole; there isn't a suicide problem if you don't count the deaths as suicides.

All things considered, I'd say the doctors are doing the best they can with what they have. At least depression is being spoken about on TV from time to time, unlike 10 years ago when depression, for many people, didn't exist (Like abortion and teen pregnancy in the 50s and early 60s)

16. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Meds help me.

17. tphillip

tphillip Member

They help a lot of people. And I'm glad that a pill can lessen or eliminate suffering in a lot of people. There are some people (Like Thomas Szasz & Peter Breggin) that feel otherwise for decent reasons.

And there a lot of people in society who are ignorant of the issues and simply tell people to suffer in silence.

If the drugs work for someone, I'm of the opinion that every effort should be made to allow that person to be able to get them.

18. tilly

tilly Member

Obviously some people need medication. I was on medication for years and felt numb. Not sad and not happy. After taking a massive OD of it, they took me off it. Strangely I've been ok ever since. (7 months) Havent needed it. It just masks the problem. It doesnt make it go away