Nobody values my advice and I'm looking for positive thinking about that

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by dhammapal, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhammapal

dhammapal Active Member

What is the antidote to the thought process that nobody values my advice so why don't I go and kill myself and then they'll be happy? My Dad does take advice on cooking vegetables and in 2003 he said he'd be inconsolable if I committed suicide. But he is not interested in any other advice.

Thanks / dhammapal.
  2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Not everyone is looking for advice; sometimes it's best to wait until someone asks for advice before you actually offer it. Without knowing what sort of advice you offer, I'm not really able to elaborate though.
  3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Well, advice can be a difficult thing to give especially when it contradicts what another person is doing, or if they aren't looking for it. I wouldn't say it's a reflection on you but it does depend on when and how you offer it. But why does it matter if they do or don't take your advice? And hurting yourself to make other people feel happy? I suppose I can understand that, but that's defiantly not right.
  4. dhammapal

dhammapal Active Member

My sister-in-law gets really offended if anyone offers her any advice on anything, particularly in bringing up my little nephew. I wonder what is the point of spending time with her? Just for my education?

I agree that giving advice is a roadblock to communication and other people would value my efforts in seclusion to be emotionally independent and liberated.

Regards / dhammapal.
  5. dhammapal

dhammapal Active Member

Thanks so much for the replies, I'm feeling much better now. I'd never want to hurt myself and there is no such thing as a painless death anyway.

People may not value my advice but I can have a meaningful life by striving to set a good example.

Regards / dhammapal.
  6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

The point of spending time with your sister-in-law is to be with family and to visit with your nephew. Don't let the point of visiting them be overshadowed by wanting to give parenting advice. Most people are not going to be receptive to someone, even if they were also a parent or an expert, because people have their own views and values on how to raise their kids. Giving advice is not an essential ingredient to relationships and often when even the most obvious, it's better to step back and let people learn a lesson for themselves. I think your last statement about striving to set a good example hits the mark perfectly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.