Non-straights - get in here!

The Scream

0] what are you? [gay/bi/les/trans/pan/anything else?]
1] would you rather have been straight?
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out?
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity?
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself?
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street?
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions?

im curious :shelbi:

and here's my answers......

0] les
1] yes, but im not, so...
2] yes unfortunately i have
3] no not anymore
4] yes
5] sometimes
6] yes i do, and i really wish i wouldn't, but the possibility of disgusting someone fears me way too much...

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
0] what are you? I am Bi.
1] would you rather have been straight? nope. well somedays I kinda wonder that
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? kinda... I've only come out to a few and have lost them all as friends. don't think it was because of my coming out though. nobody in my family knows and they never will.
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? Yes.
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? not directly at me. but have experienced a lot of gay intolerance from a lot of people I know
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? depends on where I was... definitely some neighborhoods around here I wouldn't.
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? Yes. All the time. or if I'm around some people I suspect to be homophobic I try to act as straight as I possibly can. but i typically avoid being around people.

HakunaMatata

1. Pansexual.
  2. O.0 No.
  3. I mentioned it once but they don't seem to believe me so i haven't bothered. No i haven't lost friends over it.
  4. Hell no.
  5. I think so.
  6. Of course!
  7. I never go out. I guess i would.

BrinkOfExistence

0] what are you? Pansexual

1] would you rather have been straight? No, it's boring just being straight

2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? No, but only one friend knows.

3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? Kind of, I'll won't mention it in a conversation but if someone asked me about it and they are being serious i'd tell them the truth.

4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? No

5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? Yes i would.

6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? No

Growing Pains

0] what are you? Genderqueer and pansexual
1] would you rather have been straight? Some days, I think so. Most of the time, though, no.
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? Yes. Because of my "gender identity". None of them give a rats butt about my sexuality.
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? No, but I don't mention it unless it comes up.
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? Yes.
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? Yeah.
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? No.

Gay.

Don't really care.

Not out.

Rarely comes up.

No.

Sure.

6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions?
Nope.

Phteven

Gay

It would be easier to be straight as we live in a straight world.

no i dont have many friends to begin with but no one cared that i was gay, even my family, when i cme out..

I have at times but i made a consciencous decision to no longer hide it in so much as i will be honest if anyone asks me.

no, not that i noticed.

yes

no... I could give a shit what people think of me because im gay.

UsedToBe

what are you? [gay/bi/les/trans/pan/anything else?] I'm Bi
1] would you rather have been straight? No, women are too pretty.
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? Not yet, but my marriage ie falling apart.
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? No.
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? Yes, from my husband and a colleague.
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? Yes.
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? no.

pppqp

0] what are you? Pan or lesbian ..??
1] would you rather have been straight? No. I like being female, and some women are very attractive
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? No
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? No
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? No
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? No. Never had a partner
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? No

Awww.. all my answers are no. I've never been in a relationship before, and people seem to interpret my interest for women as admiration coz they all are older women.

nolonger

what are you? [gay/bi/les/trans/pan/anything else?]
gay

would you rather have been straight?
no. if i could choose, i'd rather not be alive.

Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out?
i dont really have any friendships, and my family doesnt no.(only people at school know)

do you try to hide your sexual identity?
im not all the outgoing etc so i wouldnt say im hiding it.

ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself?
no, but people still seem to say ignorant crap infront of me.

Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street?
i dont think so. it really depends. even if i was straight i seriously doubt i would hold a girls hand. im not a very public expression of intimacy person.

Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions?
no

0] im going to say pan but explain- im with a guy for 7years now. Ive left him 3times. I only find women attractive, but i love him and am comfortable with him relationshipwise and bedroom wise. Other men freak me out after i am with them. He doesnt. If not for him i would be seeking women.
1] Id be less confused if i was. But im happy with who i am.
2] my mum wasnt impressed. But thats her issue
3] No even as a teen i didnt hide being atracted to women though i said i was "middle of the road" when asked
4] Yes but mainly when i was in school.
5] When i was seeing women i did hold hand with them i am all for equality and its natural imho love can not be unnatural.
6] No i actively try and bring my straight friends into the gay world and also question why they dont consider trying a same sex relationship.

Also. Pride is this saturday and i cannot wait :D

SashaJade

0] what are you? [gay/bi/les/trans/pan/anything else?] Trans and pan.
1] would you rather have been straight? I'd rather not be trans but I dont give a shit about being pan.
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? Oh yes. Sigh.
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? Not anymore.
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? Too many times.
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? I have and will continue to do so.
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? I'm socially isolated from everyone :D

Stripe

0] what are you? Gay

1] would you rather have been straight? Mostly yes

2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? Yes, but nobody that really mattered

3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? Only when I am at work, around new people, out in public etc... Around friends I am out

4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? Yes. Nothing that bad yet

5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? I have done. Depends where I am/how drunk I am

6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? I dont isolate myself. I just dont tell people that I am gay. Everyone assumes I am straight. I dont feel the need to make life more difficult by telling them they are mistaken. Sad world we live in i'snt it.

morning rush

Pansexual

not really no

no

huh, it doesn't really come up so

not really towards me but my mom thinks that gays and lesbians are mentally ill so....she doesn't believe I could like women as much as men

yes

no I isolate myself for other reasons...social phobias...nothing related to my sexual preference though

Mr. E

I identify as gay

In the first 19 years of my life I only had sexual and romantic relationships with women, denying the attraction that I had towards men. Being straight is definitely easier; a lot of heterosexual privilege out there. But at this point in my life, It's hard for me to say that I'd be anyone other than who I am. I'd just rather not be depressed

Not yet, though I am not out to all of my family

I have not told my father's side of the family, which I want to change soon. Also, I am not out at my current place of employment. School, friends, and in public, however, I am completely out.

Not directly towards myself, but I do hear homophobic things all the time

I've done so before. It helps being in a place that is generally more LGBT friendly. There are certainly some places I would never do this though.

I socially isolate myself from all people really. I do shy away from people that I think may be intolerant, but unless they give me a reason to think they might hold some less than flattering attitudes, then I give them the benefit of the doubt

Lesbian

Definitely not. I used to wish I was straight back in middle school, because of how much I was bullied.

Not yet. I'm not out to my entire family, just who I live with. All of my friends are fine with it, though.

Not anymore. Some people think I do, though, since I look really feminine.

Sadly. Only in middle school, though.

If I had one and they were okay with it, sure.

I usually ignore negative reactions, so no. The people I hang out with are really accepting, though, so I rarely worry about it.

0] what are you? [gay/bi/les/trans/pan/anything else?] Gay
1] would you rather have been straight? That's one thing I wouldn't change about myself.
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? Yes, those friendships were a lie anyway.
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? Sometimes
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? Yes
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? Idk

Oloriel

0] I am bisexual
1] No. For years my ex treated the concept of me being with a woman as something I would only ever do as a sexy show for a man to watch, because of course who takes lesbian relationships seriously? He never entertained the idea that maybe, just maybe, I was actually bi, and I lied to myself for him. Now that I am free of him, I have been able to come to terms with my sexuality and really understand it, and I wouldn't change it for the world.
2] No, luckily. Though several months after I came out to my mom, she mentioned that "maybe you're not straight" and I just stared at her...and said "I know I'm not." She asks me "well, then maybe you should come out!" I had to come out to my mom TWICE. She apparently didn't believe me the first time.
3] Sometimes. Around my friends and those who really know me, I don't hide it. But I am afraid to acknowledge it around others. Some people have said that they don't believe bisexuality exists - that it's just someone who hasn't made up their mind about being straight or gay yet, or someone being experimental and doing it for attention. I am afraid of being labeled as such, so I try to conceal my sexuality from situations where that argument might come up.
4] No - I have been very lucky to grow up in a reasonably accepting community.
5] I'm in a straight relationship right now, so I guess that's not a very applicable question. ^^U But if I had a female partner...I would take her wherever she wanted to go and hold her hand all the way there. I may be afraid of my sexuality being known, but if I had love, I would want to show it off. There's no shame in that.
6] No, but I socially isolate myself from everyone, so that isn't saying much. -.-

Great questions! I often feel like I'm not really good enough to participate in the LGBT community... Even though there's a B in there, I sometimes worry that gays would look at me and think "oh, you're only *bi*"... Like I'm not gay enough, or something. -.- I realize that's silly. But I worry about it all the time! So I am glad I got to participate in this.

Kikyo

0] what are you? pansexual, and a little bit genderqueer
1] would you rather have been straight? Nah, I don't mind being this way.
2] Have you lost friendships/family because of coming out? Not particularly, but that's because I only come out to people I know will accept it; if I know they're homophobic, like some of my family, then I don't tell them.
3] do you try to hide your sexual identity? Yeah, from some people- mostly my family.
4] ever experienced gay intolerance directly towards yourself? Not really.
5] Do you/would you hold hands with your partner walking down the street? Sure.
6] Do you socially try to isolate yourself from people you think might be straight to prevent homophobic/disappointed reactions? Not at all.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00