Non-theraputic help

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Frayed, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frayed

Frayed New Member

I don't want individual counseling anymore, I have tried it numerous times in the past and it always does more damage than good. I also do not want medication anymore. Same reason.

Like most of you, I absolutely can't feel like this anymore. It comes and goes like clockwork now and it is extremely disruptive to my life. At least when I was younger my low times were more reactive and slower to start. Now I go from depressed to non-functioning in the blink of an eye and it is getting harder and harder to crawl out of. It destroys me. I can't make any progress in life. I think about suicide constantly and always have when I get like this.

But I won't try individual therapy or drugs anymore. They were complete failures and I gave them multiple tries. Has anyone found or had any success with a group counseling environment? Please tell me about it. Someone out there get any non-traditional help????
  2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

You could try self help books, or support groups, group therapy, there are also complementary therapies, maybe like hypnotherapy, acupuncture, things like that. I don't know much about the complementary ones.

There are a lot of self help books out there. There is one based around CBT which is quite good. If you want to know the details, let me know. But there are certainly a lot of books out there that might help.

Support groups and group therapy would need to be researched in your area, but they might offer a different kind of support from one to one counselling.

Also remember that one to one counselling may not have worked before, but that doesn't mean it might not. Maybe you didn't meet the right therapist, or have the right therapy, ie maybe you need one focussing on the present, not the past, there are different ones like CBT, DBT, CAT and many others depending on your difficulties.

Hang in there and keep fighting. I think it's brilliant that you are looking for other ways to help yourself.

Also, another thing that might help if a change of diet. If you can have a healthy balanced diet with all the right vitamins and stuff, that might also help.

Good luck with it, and take care of yourself
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.