None encouragement of suicide rule

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Jack Sprat, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Guest

Do you feel that SF's rule that you can't encourage suicide. Drasticly limits what you can say when replying to a thread?

It's sort of like, all you can say is (hug) don't do that...
  2. U2 for U

U2 for U Guest

Yes I do feel that replies, are extremely white washed. And true meaningful conversation is limited.
    Also the management and members seem very clickish. And unwavering in their ideas.
    A much more helpful mode would be to allow people to say what they really thought.
  3. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

firstly it is a pro life site. if we encouraged suicide the site could be shut down and those who run it would potentially be in big trouble.

this is a support forum. i dont see any limits in the idea of supporting people and helping them through the bad times and help them walk back into more positive times. theres a llot more than saying 'hug - dont do that'. people have all sorts of things that have led them to feeling this way in the first place. if these issues can be talked about and sorted through there is every chance that somebody who is suicidal will start to feel better. its all about support.
  4. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

This. Don't want the Forum shutting down/getting a bad reputation. And really, there are not many forums that actually allow anybody to encourage suicide.
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

There will be no change in this rule as long as SF exists as we will NEVER be involved in anything other than a pro-life mission...also look at the age range of the members here...J
  6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

For the "guests" and any members who are unaware, there are currently lawsuits pending on closed sites in which suicide and methods were encouraged and discussed. Not that this issue has anything to do with SF, which has always been a pro-life peer-to-peer support group.
  7. chatter box

chatter box Guest

8. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

chatterbox :) sometimes there is more than meets the eye when a member is warned in chat. you have to consider that you have not seen all the conversations or PMs involved.

but back to the topic of OP. Shades and i have tried to explain why this is the case.
  9. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Any member may bring their questions or issues with SF guidelines to management in the form of an LTM.
  10. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Thread have your answer, "unregistered guest"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.