Normies who want to help

hope_cope_nope

Have you ever met someone who acknowledged that you are suicidal and wanted to help, but failed due to lack of deeper understanding?

I have on certain occasions and most of the time people expected that my depression would go very quickly. Like someone sending a link to a typical article "10 signs that you are suicidal", then asking if I felt better. "So your depression didn't go AFTER I SENT YOU THE LINK??? Now I don't know what to do."

There are many normal people who are well-intended but simply don't know how to help. I believe we can educate them. If you've met someone like that, share.

emily91

what's a " normal person"

no, seriously: what is normal?. it means diffrent things to diffrent people

I'm sure some of us look at people and think well, what have they got to be happy about?

normality for us is what we feel on a daily bases

but I know what you mean: and the answer is no

I had 1 person recognize my feelings, but then laugh in my face because he couldn't really see why I felt like that

most of the time I get something like oh em, go home and get on with your life or something and quit moaning

justrob

Keep on keeping on.
I was one of those people until I became depressed and suicidal (I no longer am depressed and suicidal). In my case my mind created a new reality, in that I was certain was real a certainty that I never had before. I was certain nobody ever felt that bad before and certain that only suicide would ease the pain. It is hard for someone who hasn't experienced the mind creating a more real than reality reality to understand what it's like. Mostly what they can do is listen. They should know that talking about it doesn't make it more likely a person will commit suicide and it often time will help reduce the suffering.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Have you ever met someone who acknowledged that you are suicidal and wanted to help, but failed due to lack of deeper understanding?

I have on certain occasions and most of the time people expected that my depression would go very quickly. Like someone sending a link to a typical article "10 signs that you are suicidal", then asking if I felt better. "So your depression didn't go AFTER I SENT YOU THE LINK??? Now I don't know what to do."

There are many normal people who are well-intended but simply don't know how to help. I believe we can educate them. If you've met someone like that, share.
I have encountered these people. I think they really do mean well, but they have no idea what depression really is. The closest they can come is that time their cat died and they were sad. They aren't able to relate and no matter how much they try, they don't know what that feels like.

Some people do go and research and try to understand, but most don't because they don't understand the need to understand. I wouldn't call them normal people, because I'm not sure such a thing exists, but I'd say people who don't suffer with any mental health issues aren't able to see it. Much like someone who has never struggled with addiction cannot really understand what it's like to be an addict.

Waves

Oh yes. And in crisis lines! May I send you a link? Huh? If very sick for more than a year then we tried links and therapy and groups and meds and exercise and meditation and grounding and suppplements and praying and reading and giving and chakra and mindfulness and Next!!

hope_cope_nope

I do believe normalcy exists. There are 3 dimensions you have to have together: physical health, money and relationships, and 95% people would be happy.

In my personal opinion the middle one: money, is the easiest. In more general sense, you have to have provision, place to live etc. and you're fine. Being on someone's support counts too. Regarding money, there are good sources, books, good methods and they work. It is possible to lead middle-class lifestyle given enough effort.

The problem with health is that it's quite simple to stay healthy, but once you get sick things get harder. You will probably not get cancer if you don't smoke, but if you got it already, there's no simple way back. Still it is possible and worthy to care about the remaining health even after illness. If one part of your body is sick, it's not an excuse to stop caring about other parts.

The biggest problem is with relationships, because that is a thing that doesn't depend 100% on you. Unlike money for instance, when you and only you decide whether you succeed. For a relationship to be good you don't only need to make effort, but the other person too. As some of you maybe have noticed, we live in the times when nobody really cares about anything but the most basic hedonistic pleasures. People who want more are few. So you are not the only factor for the relationship to be good. One possible solution is to move on and look for new people constantly, but that is not very satisfactory for an introvert.

That said, there are many normies who genuinely want to help. They only don't know how. It is our responsibility to tell them.

What kind of help would you like to receive from a normal happy person if they were willing to give it?

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
This is clearly all your opinion here ^^ This is sincerely untrue, it's just what you think / feel is true.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00