North American Union

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Mar 29, 2014.

Would you...

1. I'm North American - Yes

0 vote(s)
  2. I'm North American - No

1 vote(s)
  3. I'm Not North American - Yes

3 vote(s)
  4. I'm Not North American - No

0 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

There is already the NAFTA, but would you want to expand on it and create a NAU, with free movement of peoples, unified currency, law, etc?
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

No and because too few letter No again.
  3. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

It's not so much whether the idea is popular in polls, but it's not practical now.

Mexico has good people, but also "bad money" problems on a fairly regular basis, and a turbulent history, impaired governance in some parts of the country right now, and historical resentments against the USA, some of which are justified.

Canada has national health care of a sort the USA refuses to countenance. Quebec succession also keeps popping up. If that happens, it will create a new, proud, but economically dependent country on this continent.

The USA has intractable deficit spending, and a longtime trend toward consumerism beyond its means. Also, the USA, nearly alone, is forced to defend the extant world order against chaos and aggression, a thankless and ugly task which nevertheless must be done. This means the USA has one of the world's highest military burdens on a % of GDP basis. Are Canada and Mexico willing to pony up by surtaxing their populations to help pay the lift? I doubt it.

Although trade agreements are fine, there will be no currency union or open-border policies on North America analogous to those in Europe in our lifetime.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.