Norway shooter listened to Lux Aeterna while murdering young people

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Norway shooter: Anders Behring Breivik listened to Clint Mansell during spree

Anders Behring Breivik carried out his killing spree whilst listening to a composition by British musician Clint Mansell which he described as an “incredibly powerful song” that would help suppress his fear.

By Victoria Ward, Oslo
    8:30PM BST 25 Jul 2011

In his 1500-page manifesto, the Norwegian Right wing extremist disclosed that he planned to put a composition called Lux Aeterna (listen here) on repeat on his iPod and listen to it at the maximum volume while murdering the young people at a summer camp.

The well-known track has been used as background music on television shows including Britain’s Got Talent and on Sky Sports’s Soccer Saturday.

It was also used in a trailer for the Lord of the Rings trilogy and as the theme to Requiem for a Dream, a cult film about succumbing to drug addictions.

As Breivik described how he would prepare himself for his deadly rampage, he wrote: “I can’t possibly imagine how my state of mind will be during the time of the operation, though. It will be during a steroid cycle and on top of that; during an ephedrine rush, which will increase my aggressiveness, physical performance and mental focus with at least 50-60 per cent but possibly up to 100 per cent.

“In addition, I will put my iPod on max volume as a tool to suppress fear if needed. I might just put Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell on repeat as it is an incredibly powerful song. The combination of these factors (when added on top of intense training, simulation, superior armour and weaponry) basically turns you into an extremely focused and deadly force, a one-man-army.”

Breivik said that he “loved” the piece, explaining that Lux Aeterna meant “eternal light” which he said was “an appropriate title”.

He went on: “I’ve listened to this track several hundred times and I never seem to get tired of it.

“The track is very inspiring and invokes a type of passionate rage within you. In Lord of the Rings – a good version of this track (Requiem for a Tower version which I think is the best) is performed during the most intense fighting of one of the central battles. Since it has worked for me, it is likely that it will work for you. An invigorating piece of art.”

The 32-year-old has spent a lot of time in London and is believed to have written the manifesto of Right-wing ranting in the capital.

In it, he references other favoured aspects of British culture including Jeremy Clarkson and the BBC’s Top Gear, which he described as “one of the funniest shows on TV”.

Under a section headed “The ideological journey – from indoctrinated multiculturalist zealot to Conservative Revolutionary” he lists an episode of Channel 4 documentary series Dispatches, called Undercover Mosque, under “Further studies”.

He also quotes Mark Steyn, a Canadian writer and right wing columnist, who referenced the July 7 bombers in his book America Alone: The End of the World as we Know it.

Steyn wrote: “When lifelong Torontonians are hot for decapitation, when Yorkshiremen born and bred and into fish 'n’ chips and cricket and lousy English pop music self-detonate on the London Tube, it would seem that the phenomenon of “re-primitivised man” has been successfully exported around the planet.”
  2. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

Great. The shooter listened to my favorite song. It gives me that invulnerable feeling while listening to it, but not so high and mighty that I can kill kids.
  3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

So what.

It's about his mental connections and choices, not the music he chose to mentally sit in. I could use that music for making the most epic piece of cake or take the most epic shit. Bridging this man and his actions to an open ended piece of music is just fucking ... that pisses me off. Music is not defined by it. You can use whatever you want and take it however you want. Defining it as passionate rage???

Anders Behring Breivik is an ignornat person who doesn't realize that he should be saying ''the track is very inspiring and invokes a type of passionate rage within ME.''

It's different. He's being a manipulative prick by associating his emotional and mental issues onto the song and implying that this is what the song is about. Where as the bastard truth is, the song envokes what you ALLOW it to. Same with ANY song. Go fuck yourself you defining murdering ignorant twat.
    My god... all I got from this prick in this thread is that he used a song to explore his rage and attributed it to the frythm and flow of the song, probably justifying his mental actions with the progression of the song. Doesn't mean fuck all about the music, it's about the stupid ignorant blind justifications in his thoughts and feelings.

Sigh. Gah
  4. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Yeah you can't blame the music, the ephedrine or even that he was a steroid cycle for his actions. They were only tools to help him be the mass murder that he is killing aiding him in being more aggressive and focused.

Like they say with testosterone if someone isn't aggressive unable to control themselves then it will have very little affect on aggression however if you are quite aggressive then it will certainly exacerbate one's mental state.

This man had it in him to kill 96 people, the testosterone and ephedrine likely just made him more focused and more mentally alert. The music was just something he liked and he felt was dramatic so he played it I guess :/

An interesting thing I read a while back is that Hitler the most evil man to inhabit this earth was a Crystal Meth Addict he would get injections every morning he even had to up his dose like with my most addicts. He claimed it was for his parkinsons symptoms yet others state the crystal meth gave him those symptoms.

When I was in high school I got kicked out of class one day, I wasn't good at controlling my behavior, I was on dexedrin and impulsively I decided to jump this guy at his locker as she was sitting on his lap in class. I had my own issues as a adolescent and I had this perceived inferiority(my shadow) which I projected onto him then attacked it, it was wrong however I think me being on dexedrin at the time came into play.

Many drugs cause a lack of empathy, Hitler obviously had a great lack of empathy and ignorance to begin. At the same time I really suspect him being on crystal meth killed any little bit of conscience he had left.
  5. justMe7

I donno. When it comes to people being in such high positions of power and responsibile for so much in the world, there is a great deal of propaganda and speculation. Just pointing out, that as far as I'm aware, it's not a fact, it's just a speculation. Did my nut in, I never heard about him on methephedamines.

Drugs do mess you up though, there's no doubt about it. I have my own personal experiences with how they can adjust your mental awarenesses and perceptions on life.

Idk about this guy, I dont particularly want to begin to understand the reasons for his failings as an individual. I personally think we never will because only he knows, and he has to be honest and aware of himself to explain it. And to be honest, anyone who thinks hunting people for 90 minutes while listening to music is acceptable has mental jumps that are illogical. So anything he see's as the honest truth is distorted and will probably be missing key aspects because he's too ignorant to incorporate them into his ways of thinking.
  6. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I listen to gabber, hardcore, terrorcore, speedcore, frenchcore etc. does that mean im gonna turn into a drug raged, frenchman with a penchant for rape on halloween?
  7. peacelovingguy

peacelovingguy Well-Known Member

Music had nothing to do with it.

ANY song might have done it.

He actually murdered Christian kids - or many from that background.

The media paint him as a Christian nut opposed to Muslims - but its not actually that simple to me.
  8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Just to clarify, if you read the article, its purpose is not to attribute the crime to music nor justify it in any way... It's an expose of sorts showing some of what his manifesto read and what was on his mind.
  9. justMe7

Oh i know, but the problem is he's associated to it automatically, and via his statments. Plus the ignornace of what people jump onto. People who dont undersand will latch onto anything with substance to start forming their own personal definition of why he was as he was. ''Oh he was like that because he was high and crazy and listened to this tune'' or whatever.
    The youtube comments on it are just an idea. Though i reckon most people in the world are sane enough to not be that shallow.
  10. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

Wikipedia does have lot's of good information however I wouldn't take it as written in stone because it's on there, it's not the be all to end all. This first quote is from the BBC. I strongly suspect their is evidence that he was on crystal meth however it's most likely all of his closest colleagues were killed so therefore there wasn't "hard proof" maybe there was some documentation from his doctor. What further supports him using crystal meth is the fact that they were giving it to their soldiers in the form of pills as well as many other drugs.

Back to the Norway killer I think the guy is just explaining the process how he did what he did not laying the blame or saying any of that stuff was responsible for his actions, he had it in him to do that massacre the other stuff was just a minor factor in things.
  11. Moat

Moat Banned Member

He's right, it is an incredibly powerful song, unfortunately I have to add it to my black list now:dry:
  12. justMe7

On the hitler topic, well Im not going to research it :tongue: I've never heard about him on crystal meth, and to be honest Im sure things like that would pop up to shame him even more. Im not too sure how they could verify that, and tbh, I'd have to read it in some pure source to believe it. I'm not a wiki sourcer, it's just the quickest thing I could find. But meh, we'll just stand on different sides of the fence on that one :p

As far as Anders Behring Breivik's explanations into his own mental states and the tools he used to fuel himself... well he is explaining. He's also attempting to 'define' alot of things, but instead of doing it for himself, he's attemping to do it for 'everyone'.
    It's interesting i guess to see how ignorant he is, but it's more worrysome to think of the fearful fools out there that will attribute his behavior and attiutude to these elements which he's highlighting. Some people are freaken horrible with this. If an event of a certain magnitude goes off that shocks them or worries them, and has outside elements that helped in the 'construction' of that event, people start to attribute that fear and the possibility of it happening again onto those external elements. I doubt most people will with this song, but I wager a bet that some twats will think of this idiot when they listen to the song.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.