Not addiction but maybe abuse?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Bigman2232, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Well I know I'm not addicted to anything. I don't have the personality for it. I enjoy certain things a lot but my logical mind can still tell me when I've had enough and that I never HAVE to have it.

However, I may still be abusing it. I have a rather high tolerance to alcohol. I can drink 10 or more bottles of beer in a matter of a few hours and still be pretty coherent. Eventually my balance does go and I do slur some things (I'm also tongue tied so I can't speak some words very well in the first place) but I still know exactly what is going on and I remember everything, although sometimes it takes being brought up for me to remember.

I never need to drink but when I do I consume a lot. This is so I can try to forget my shitty life but at the end of the night I never do. I've had nights where I've drank half a 2 litres of black russians or a whole 26 oz bottle of Canadian rye or like 15 beers and a few mixed drinks.

What do you guys think?

2. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I think abuse is a concocted term. One is either dependent on a substace or he is physically addicted, meaning at the cellular level.

Bigman, how's all that working for ya? See, you describe no problem, so is there a problem? Only you can answer that.

ToHelp

3. mystereo2099

mystereo2099 Well-Known Member

apparently abuse occurs when the use is damaging to the user - so you judge.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Nah, these are really just semantics IMO.

For example, damage could be the result of an adverse reaction to a good drug taken correctly. Capice? :smile:

"Abuse" connotes overuse of any drug because the user has an unhealthy relation to it--namely a dependence [itself a more general term in which the user might be psychologically or physiologically dependent--which encompasses addiction] and that's why I prefer that term whereas again, addiction is a tissue- or cellular-level need for the substance in question.

ToHelp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.