not an ed, just obsessed with being healthy?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by triggs, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triggs

triggs Account Closed

i became vegetarian
    i cut out all junk food
    i don't eat eggs or bread
    and i don't drink fizzy drinks

people keep commenting on how i constantly cut foods/drinks out of my diet
    and it's getting to me.

i am too preoccupied with my weight, i know
    and i do sometimes do unhealthy things to lose weight
    but everyone does
    and i don't think i have a problem
    and people only know those 4 things (above)
    not about my resticting/fasting
    so surely just knowing that would make people think i'm just being healthy/caring about what i eat.. not that i have a problem right?

i just don't like people putting me down for, what i would think is being healthy... and i never know what to say when they make comments on it.

has anyone else had that before?
    if so, what did you say?

2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

They call that 'Orthorexia'. Fixation on being healthy.
    Orthorexia Nervosa is an obsession with a "pure" diet, where it interferes with a person's life. It becomes a way of life filled with chronic concern for the quality of food being consumed. When the person suffering with Orthorexia Nervosa slips up from wavering from their "perfect" diet, they may resort to extreme acts of further self-discipline including even strictor regimens and fasting. "This transference of all of life's value into the act of eating makes orthorexia a true disorder. In this essential characteristic, orthorexia bears many similarities to the two well-known eating disorders anorexia and bulimia. Where the bulimic and anorexic focus on the quantity of food, the orthorexic fixates on its quality. All three give food an excessive place in the scheme of life."
    Sounds a lot like you from your post?

3. triggs

triggs Account Closed

thanks mel-x for the... suggestion?
    i don't see what's wrong with wanting to be healthy...?
    i just don't know how to get people off my case..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

There's nothing wrong with it unless it's getting in the way of your life.
    Tell them you're watching what you put into your body. They'll get bored of commenting eventually.

5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I think it really is a blurry line... how much of your life does this take up? How much is acceptable to you? Some people might call a competitive athlete or bodybuilder "orthorexic" due to the amount of time each takes during the day preparing food and training, but if it is what they love who is to judge? I really dont see a problem with this as long as you are in fact being healthy with it and you are not hurting your body.

Also when it comes to healthy eating, or anything most people do not have the self control to do, you will quickly find people who will try to cut you down and make you feel bad for it. No matter what they say they are really just jealous. Even close family can do this, so do not feel bad, it is your life and take comfort in knowing you are doing something many people cant :hug:

6. triggs

triggs Account Closed

thanks both of you :)
    it is just a question of letting it get out of control and i think i'm on top of it right now so in my opinion it's not a problem.
    i just think other people should let me have that opinion and not try to degrade me for it.

7. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Unfortunately some ppl will still try to degrade you for it... it def helps to hang out with people who have similar goals as you... what do you mean by letting it get "out of control"?

8. triggs

triggs Account Closed

i mean by getting too preoccupied with weightloss/getting skinny
    that sort of thing.. like mel-x said about it taking over your life

i don't really have many friends who are trying to achieve what i want, and they wouldn't really approve of how i do it, so i'm kind of on my own with this.
    that's fine though, i can take what people say - it's just been getting to me today

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Here's a thought: you can handle some "errors" with food. Some junkfood some of the time will absolutely not hurt you. Eggs (excellent source of protein) and bread (excellent source of fiber with balanced protein) are good for you. Meat (excellent source of protein) is good for you. Fizzy drinks won't hurt you.

The only people who disagree with what I just said are those on ultralow calorie diets...

I don't believe you're living a supremely healthy lifestyle from what you've said... There's absolutely nothing wrong with living healthy, but you need to do it right. Exercise to burn calories is far, far healthier than cutting calories.

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, people I know have complained about my diet - I also focus on healthiness. "You're not exactly fat". I try to curtail my junkfood... But I don't mind it every once in a while. And I certainly don't cut calories in healthy foods. Fruit, nuts, vegetables, eggs, eat all you want... And exercise to deal with any extra calories you do get. Exercise is the single most important factor in a healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
  10. triggs

triggs Account Closed

hi aoeu
    i know exercise is important, and i do a lot of that too - i'm not just 'cutting calories' as you say. i'm vegetarian for other reasons besides calorie intake anyway, so i don't believe meat is a necessity and i find my protein and fibre in many other things that i eat, along with all the other nutrients so i don't need to eat eggs and bread.
    just because junk food and fizzy drinks won't hurt me in moderation, doesn't mean they'll do me any good - so is there a problem with cutting them out of my diet?

i have an exercise routine which fits with a 'normal' persons lifestyle, though i do more if i can, so i am aware that exercise is a fundamental part of living healthily.
    i don't think it's all to do with being fat (though losing weight is an issue for me), but more to feel good and pure on the inside and avoiding feeling bad because i've eaten something unhealthy/not done exercise.

thanks though x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.