Not depression but pessimism

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Winslow, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Although my depression varies and fluctuates from day to day, but one thing which stays the same is pessimism. Because I see the value in pessimism. Why? Well, it can be best explained by the following proverb.

"There is a need for both optimists and pessimists. After all, the optimist invented the airplane, and the pessimist invented the parachute."

2. mandyj101

mandyj101 Well-Known Member

hey there ..
    i just thought id say i agree and im the same .. i think its a big part of depression ..
    the glass is always half empty 4 me!
    all the best :hug:

3. Rambo

Rambo Member

The irony is that parachuting is more fun.

4. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

when you're a pessimist its hard to be in new social situations. i'm lucky to have found a significant other who enjoys sardonic humor and taking refuge from shiny pleasant people. but most people want to be around the happy ones who make them forget about the bad stuff.

i've been called a bummer, a downer, weird, etc. i can't help it if i see things pessimistically and most people are deluding themselves... i've seen a lot of bad shit go down and there's far worse out there than i can even imagine. ignoring this just feels like a living lie.

if you're constantly seeing how bad things can get you only end up being pleasantly surprised, never horribly shocked

5. i am the same way. a friend was just telling me today "i cant believe you are so negative!dont think like that!" but i cant help it.. when i try, i feel like im lieing to myself. being one of those people that avoid the truth... ugh.

6. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

I think enlightened disillusionment mixed with good humour is the best stance to adopt towards the world. Once you can see the world as an insignificant anthill of hurlyburly activity and shatter your delusions of grandeur, life becomes easier.

Oh, and I liked the parachute comment someone made earlier! :biggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.