Not Enough Mental Health Awareness

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by snarrylover, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I was just chatting with a friend (for want of a better word) and it made me think about this issue.

I had a breakdown at the place I used to work. For the following months I was treated like I was crazy. This one person in particular went around telling everyone that I was a doing it for attention. He'd post things on facebook like "attention seeking is not cool" and "some people need to get a life and grow up" and they were obviously aimed at me.

I imagine there are thousands of people out there that go through this type of thing all the time. People just don't understand mental illnesses, which means those people that need are shunned and laughed at by their peers.

If someone says they have cancer people immediatly feel sorry for that person, they ask after them, they treat them differently. People rally round and try to life their spirits, they donate money to cancer charities.

What about us? Sure, there is help available, but the general public are pretty much ignorant on the issue as a whole.

More needs to be done to raise awareness so the people suffering know it's nothing to be ashamed about!
  2. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

It is very true, at one of my workplaces noone has a clue about my diagnosis. A while ago they were talking about a hospital i have visited a few times, talking about "the crazy feckers" in the place, all the while i was giggling to myself for the fact they were so ignorant and were sat with a schizophrenic at the time!
    I have recently seen a few adverts in the UK aimed at trying to reduce the stigma, with a website for people to visit.
    One friend of mine who is studying mental health was asked to do a paper on a subject of her choice, she chose to look into the stigma surrounding illnesses. When she handed the paper in the teacher pulled her to one side and told her she had to do it about something else, something real and he totally disregarded her paper, she then handed the paper to her tutor who has since gone mental (pardon the pun) and is demanding to know why a decent paper about something so prevalent was being refused, it amounted to stigma about stigma....
  3. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

It's like explaining the right to exist through a fucking charter of human rights. People need to be educated in things like this? No... people need to release definitions that lump up large complex parts of what makes us who we are. In essense, people need to appricate themselves alot more if they are ever going to truly understand the issues some people deal with in Life. Maybe they should start with that a mental definition is NOT what it is. Be it a term for a "condition" or for the feeling you get by a sunrise.
    ah fuck it.
  4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I've always felt uneasy using the term "mental health" or "mental illness" but I never know what else to use in conversation. In my own head I use "emotional illness" because that's what my depression is. "Mental" has always seemed somehow offensive in a way I can't explain.
  5. justMe7

I think it's all relative when it comes to mental stability. I never ever have liked the term "mental illness" tbh. The moment you say "mental" there's this cliche box that seperates that person from the rest(in some peoples eyes). It's an old way they used to "respect" people imo. Like being "handicapped". Suddenly that words associates and applies an emmense disposition towards that person. They're not a person, but a subject of that term first, and then if theres time, they're a "Person".

To some atleast. Just some people don't give themself enough time to appricate their own thoughts, feelings and who/what they are, so when they are put in a situation where they have to interact with someone who is in a personal challenge, they revert to terms and definitions to work in that situation. As opposed to seeing the person who is dealing with their own unique issue(s). Problem is these terms eventually if used without respect(though they suck to begin with) break down and can be used in association for bad if not horrible other terms. Simply because some other people have claimed to have an issue but really are just abusing the aura that comes with these terms.

Idk, i hate terms. They work though, just... people get lost behind them.
  6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Each person who feels there is not enough awareness can charge themselves with putting a foot forward to work toward elevating education on the topic to the public. There are organizations to join, such as NAMI, that work toward these goals. Improvements to people's understanding must come from the grass roots; from people themselves.
  7. Soon

Soon Member

I can't speak for the UK folks, but mental health services in the US are a complete joke. Getting therapy other than drugs frequently requires either a significant out-of-pocket cost, jumping through several bureaucratic hoops, or both. Neither of which someone suffering from suicidal tendencies is likely to do. The only surefire way to get personal help is to put yourself in the ER.
  8. pickwithaustin

The meeting I attended just over a week ago about the huge tax dollar influx (in the many billions of dollars) for health care, including mental health, in the U.S. is going to be incredible. Until now, there simply has not been funds enough to provide more than just medication management, case and skills training. Sit down and full blow therapy is something that one has to cover under private insurance or out of pocket expense. I unfortunately see a lot of abuse of the system buy the end user's that I can understand how the monies to support certain types of public health care are often eaten up fast and not leaving enough to really be available to everyone who really does need it. The ER alternative is one of the issues that eats up costs fast and hurts the improvement and available funds to address things through a system. There needs to be a lot of reform to correct the abuse by people, and then with the influx of the new government monies about to come into play, there should be a lot of available improvement. The U.S. does probably have some of the best mental health care available, if measured against that of other countries - that is not saying that it cannot be improved or that it is excellent. In addition, we have many ways to work toward self-help, such as NAMI groups and the like. I'm surprised how many times on here I bring up the many available services that people can seek out and they seem to be unaware of them. Google is a great tool for learning more these days and back to my original comment on this post, people can empower themselves to start helping improve the system. In my county, for instance, one can go to my website and find a huge directory of available resources and services locally... More participative contribution such as that would go a long way in a grass roots movement to drive about change and improvement, I would think.
  9. justMe7

sigh... well i hope your optimism is well placed. i dont trust this world for anything it's worth anymore. takes years for anything to get promoted, by then it's not even the main point but another cliche. Let alone all the side avenues of things that are developing.
    idk best of luck to your optimism.
  10. pickwithaustin

That's why I've pointed out that participation and grass root movement is key. We can't sit and wait for others to do it if we do not pitch in as well.
  11. justMe7

Watch it get abused... but yes, it's better to promote the best parts. Not too sure I have the same faith in it's application and understanding across the board though.
    Emphasising mental health is dangerous too... promotes research. Which is great in alot of ways. But very dodgy in others aswell. They have a serious problem with confusing chemical imbalances with what makes a person a person.
    :p paranoid moment. In anycase, good on everyone that helps to promote understanding :) Makes today and tomorrow better
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  12. flowers

flowers Senior Member

Indeed. I had to apply for disabiity. It was the most horriffic and humiliating thing I ever went through. Once I got on disability, it had taken so long that I immediatly qualified for medicare. So I got on psychiatric disabiity and then lost coverage for my therapy. Because most psychotherapists are not permitted to be medicare providers. I believe its only psychiatrists and PHDs in psychology. This is a fraction of providers. So I got on psychiatric disability, lost my psychotherapist. And get to the carry the stigma that goes along with being mentally ill.

i believe that part of the stigma has to do with peoples fears. I could call it psychophobia. If they make fun of the mentally ill it will somehow show themselves and others that they are superior. That they are not amongst that group. If society thinks of us as less than they are, then it will collectivly reassure itself that it is separate from these afflictions which they think of as being damaged or weak. I hope this does not offend anyone. I just believe this is the sad and cruel thought pattern behind the attitudes toward the mentally ill. I think it takes greater strength to live with these challenges than it takes to judge condemn or turn away from those brave souls who live with mental illness.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.