Not enough

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by itmahanh, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I've been cutting for years but lately it just doesnt do anything. So I've started cutting from my elbow to my wrist in one long cut. It seemed to work for a bit but now it's like I need to go a step further. Can someone please tell me what to do. I'm way past the regular "coping" methods ( ie rubber band, ice etc). Does anyone have any radical methods that work?

2. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

My dearest big sis. I love you so much. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions :sad: but I just wanted to give you a big hug. Because you deserve it. So much.
    All the love in the world :wub:

3. Nyu

Nyu Well-Known Member

:hug:

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i'm a long time cutter, too

here's what's worked lately - to release the sensation/desire to cut i do pushups. exhausts my arms and hurts like fuck, but manages to take that edge away.
    the second thing i do is write in my journal specifically from the point of view of my scars (the ones i haven't made yet)... i ask them "what do you want to say" and let them tell their own story. it's different from my regular journaling 'cos i try to get in the frame of mind of the actual cuts/marks/scars. i write ferociously for as long as it takes to get it out. hope this helps & hope you feel a bit better soon.

5. itmahanh

Thanks Mel and Nyu and thanks dazzle. I too journal but lately it seems difficult to get the words out. I'll try the push ups. Just getting one should be distraction enough (lol) been years since I've done any. Went at myself again today and yep, getting deeper so need to do something fast cuz went deeper and didnt even realize I was. When it's all said and done I feel so bad because my little guy is here and no way to hide such large SHing marks. This sucks!!!!!

6. purplefizz

purplefizz Senior Member

Aw I'm sorry... :grouphug:

I hope my suggestion is allowed.

I usually like to take a shower, and make it so hot, then make it extremely cold. It gives you the rush of pain and calm at the same time. One after another. It does not have any bad side effects and doesn't leave scars. It's always worth a try. Cutting is so terrible for ya.

7. itmahanh

Thanks might have to give that a try too.

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Please stop cutting yourself Carla. :cry: There must be another way that you can get the pain release without cutting so deep. :hug:

9. Forsaken Heretic

Forsaken Heretic Well-Known Member

I'm sorry things have gotten so bad for you. My best alturnatives to cutting would be an extremely hot shower or doing laps in the pool. I don't always have access to a pool though, but when I do I attempt as many laps as I can under water without coming up for air or I just do an insane amount of laps until I can bearly move.

It usually works -- probably because after the fact I'm to tired to even think about digging out my blade from its hiding place.

Best of luck to you hun.

10. itmahanh

Cutting is just too much to handle today. I HATE it!!!

11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

This is a great idea. I do not self harm but I write from the point of view of my depression and panic, and that helps a great deal. I would only assume it works just as well in this case.
    Anyway Carla I hope you find something that truly works for you :heart:

12. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

Go have a freezing cold shower. It usually works for me. Or else, I'll go running. But its because I cut on my legs... maybe because you cut on your arms do some weights, or pushups.

TDM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.