not going to well, i need to tell my parents but i dont know how

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by andresoremor, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andresoremor

andresoremor New Member

hi
    i'm guess you can say my life is not at its best right now and i am extremely unhappy. the past few days i have been extremely depressed, i havent left my room, i havent done any homework and i keep getting in fights with my my parents. i have just started having these horrible suicidal thoughts and it's really scaring me. i literally cannot stop thinkig about it. the main thing i am having trouble with is i need to tell my parents that i have this going on but they NEVER take me seriously. i just don't know how to tell them and they will understand. help. help. help.

thanks

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i am glad you are ready, or almost ready to take the step of talking to yr. parents. it's gonna be a hard conversation, but worth having. how about writing down what you want to say so that you can refer to it if you need.
    keep in mind that parents, and friends, sometimes don't know what to say or are shocked and say the wrong thing, like 'what do you have to be depressed about' or thinking that you are 'attention seeking' -- both of which are just so cruel to a depressed person. i say this because a trained professional might respond better and be quickly able to refer you to other supports, so please consider telling someone like a guidance counsellor at school, a doctor or nurse.
    as for the exact words, when i told my doctor i just started with saying "i've been feeling low..." he said "how low?" me.... "all i think about is how and when to kill myself..." and he took it from there.
    congrats on being open to getting some help. it takes some people a long time to get to this point. let me know how it goes?
    catherine

3. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

You have made a big step. Congratualtions.
    Its going to be hard, but from that time you reach for help things can start to get better. It might be a slow process, but its still a process.
    Keep us updated.
    Love and healing xx

4. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

Now you know what having major depression feels like. As scary and painful as it is, it is possible to recover. Your parents may never understand your situation. You'll need a support network to help you. We're here to help, but we can't be there with you. If you have a good friend, tell them you need their help.

Getting out of the house and making it to classes would be a good start. Also, adding exercise to your daily routine, as exhausting as it may sound right now, can help you feel better. I know everything seems bleak and pointless right now, but the more lethargic you get, the more down on yourself you will be. Fight your instincts.

You may want to write in a journal or post here when you have a change in feelings, even if it's slight. It's easy to be dragged into even worse agony when you don't perceive yourself changing at all emotionally, even when you are.

Welcome to SF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.