Not having a facebook or twitter suspicious?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by justMe7, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

It's not the greatest of articles, but it stems from the fact that social media outlets are becoming if not are already mainstream. And by association, the implication that by not participating in them you are creating an avenue for suspicious behavior.

I suppose anything against the grain or by not partaking in social highlights causes concern for some. As.. facebook/twitter and other outlets scream the point "look at me, I have nothing to hide" to some.

Idk I ventured into tech in the 90's when I was a teen, and most of the people I affilated with(ie, random internet users) always respected and actually honed in on the fact of protecting your identity and lifestyle. Today it seems people are so flippent about sharing the life. Cameras, reports, audits that force you to decalre bulletin points of your daily habits. Now it's veering into marginal usage of database reports where your ids are scanned and recorded.

Suppose this is more of a rant. I fucking hate this world and the mainstream mentality that fuels that it is WRONG to not want to be known. That it's awkward, that it's this and that. Lose that respect and the small things like this can be used in conjunction with other situations to create probable cause for direct intrustions into your life. Or for the simple main fact that it's apparently not normal to want your life spewed on someone elses database, to which they legally own the rights to view whenever they want.

Meh fuck it. but seriously? I'd honestly like someone to argue this articles point. The uk's always fought these problems hard, and with tech imo the younger generations have ignorantly fueled it's acceptance more so than it's opposition for displaying who you are. Atleast imo.. Here the uk wants to know everything.. freaks me out tbh what this place is going to be like. "oh excuse let me print out your life from the past 10 years. Hmm Right. Well judging from this you are "..." "

This shit aint cool.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think not participating in any of these social media shows some kind of intelligence really I do not nor will i be a part of something that as you say spews your life on databases i did shown at first then it scared the hell out of me the whole face book thing did and canceled it right away Privacy is important in this day anyway one can maintain their privacy is a good way. don't know but i think as stated those people who chose to not participate are the wise ones
  3. justMe7

I really think so too in some sense. I love the freedom to post things about your life and such, but that true connection that some people create with their daily lives and tech.. you can literally trace some peoples lives. Credit card checks in time and dates stamps, what you buy at shops(catagloged), .. and stuff like that. I gotta say im teetering on paranoid, but there is a fine line a rationality I think in what Im trying to say. I don't trust people whose job it is to view peoples lives, especially when they draw from events, such as when you click with a particular tech outlet. People draw massively destructive conclusions easily based off of bulletpoint events. And to be honest, I don't understand how this form of intrusion has become so readily acceptable. Tech keeps giving more and more options, and more and more options to record and trace events in your life.

Idk.. just idk. It's all over the place and peoples lives are private. End of, it's theirs. The more ways we find to backdoor into peoples lives the more it should be opposed and learnt so people can ultimatly protect themselves. The worst culprit is a mainstream mentality though. It can drive anything into a particular direction. And I reckon most people get Oooed by the amazing applications of tech, but don't see the other applications of their new devices. But becaue of past ignornace or failure to see, there is an accepted "middle" ground layer that sticks. Then the next wave of intrusive tech slides in, and a new middle ground is found. Soon that new middle ground is almost the exact ground many opposed or were fearful of a decade ago.

Honestly I never put my real age name or address on anything. But now in some situations it goes against the terms and conditions for simple things that are meant for fun. All layered with being afraid of being sued, criminals hiding behind allias's, ect. Ive heard so much bullcrap(but realistic situations) to justify a move forward at the expense of basic foundations that seriously keep an environment free and user friendly.

The world doesn't need to know who I am. And I shouldn't be classed as odd for agreeing with a standard a decade ago that endoursed anonymity. Especially because of how EASY it is to blanket an area with private information. Ah.. gives me a headache, I can't quite connect with the open my life to everyone mentality. Confusing.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I just do not trust technology a bit paranoid no i don't think so I will not do banking or anything on line I have always be weary of technology there is no way of having privacy government as you say can track anything User friendly is there such a thing i don't think so
  5. justMe7

Yar i know.. In all truth, the contracts that we have with our ISPs are the worst. By default everything we view is stored in some sense, easy to back track. Contrasting that with subcontracts we make when we sign up with other companies onlines, it does beg the question how much is truly private and how much is "protected" until "rationally justifed" to view by a governing agency.

I don't really care all that much, but I do care when a majority of someones daily life events are publically/digitally displayed and stored. And then this becomes normal, and "features" designed to make life "easier" are produced that feed and encourge people to share more and more of their lives publically.
    Then.. idk. I worry when people of moderate social position start disassociating from the beginning of annonimity and start stipulating a new congression of people to be the starting point, and the norm. That anything but is considerd bizarre.
    Tech is important, and it's an intricate part of the majority of peoples lives in and around society. What happens if we create a soft mental standard that it's awkward to not display who you are? What happens if a serious event transpires that "allows" governing bodies to impose restrictions or use public data to further their direction.
    Yeah that massive paranoia, but I do know that soft principles of cooperation get severly strained and abused when serious massive issues occour. The heart of protecting individuals from any instrusion into their lives needs to be maintained throughout tech progression, social progression and any other progression. It's stupid to promote unification as the norm and not being part of the group as suspicious. I think that stuff draws back to excessive fear of the uknown.
    Idk.. core values, they do exist in personal information. Disheartening to see people encouraging a mass over the individal. You can't forget the beginning. Otherwise everything falls apart and abuse seems normal. Or even right. Especially when you have people that "trust and follow" certain people or groups. They'll just see someone who doesn't want to display or submit something about themselves as suspicious and treat them accordingly.
    Everything keeps progressing and developing. Yet, the core values seem to be losing their respect. Or something. They should be more highlighted. Everyday theres a new idea or form of tech developed that purposely or accidentally conflicts with an individuals rights. And some companies use them through sugar coating and people latch on. It's hard to stop a mass mentality, especially when people are lapping up the benifits and ignoring a potentially dodgy situation.
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't think its suspicious, I know some people just don't want the hassle or don't want everyone knowing their business, although I do know you can set your own privacy settings. It started off as friendster, then myspace then bebo, now its facebook, in a few years.. I am sure this will be updated again and even more options etc.. Since having Facebook I have fell out with some old friends, and had war with a cousin-we no longer speak, so I can see why people choose not to have one. I do however think it is a great idea for people who have families abroad, it's great to be able to keep in touch with no extra cost. :) My 2 cents...probably slightly off topic!
  7. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I cannot stand Facebook... I was banned because I'd rather use my penname rather than my real name. Next it kicked me out, and it wanted my phone number to put on my timeline, so I said forget that! I value my privacy, thank you very much.
  8. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I refuse to use these sites. They do not give me any satisfaction, and what I do is nobody's business but my own. Even when I merely used them to stay in contact with friends, I still found having to be constantly "on call" incredibly wearing.
  9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I like Facebook. The ability to share parts of my life and memories with relatives and friends, with the advantage of my information only being visible to those whom I choose it to be visible and private to those I don't, is the greatest communication tool since the telegraph. Facebook took internet communication to the next level.

When you have a telephone in your hand and you're unable to reach a dear friend, you have your friend's Timeline to refer to when you ask "what was the last thing they wanted to share with us that wasn't spoken?" It is the way we share pictures of our children after giving birth. It is the way we share our new jobs and promotion. It is the way we share our birthdays and holidays, our random "you just gotta see this" moments. It is the way we share thoughts with everyone attending the class or family reunion. It is the way we share our wedding pictures and honey pictures (the ones we do want to show our friends).

...It is the way we share our lives.

Is it "suspicious" to refuse to use this incredible platform? No. It's another way to avoid finding out what your friends and relatives are up to in life now that they want you to know about it, and you refuse to see. It's a way to avoid the connection.

However, phone calls and actual visits, spending time together will never be replaced by it - the same way the telephone and other platforms on the internet didn't replace physical human interaction before Facebook; but I see Facebook as merely an extension of our interaction, and a way to stay in touch when we can't stay in touch.

But that's just me.
  10. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I would not be suspicious of someone who doesn't have FB or Twitter accounts. I don't have them, but I am older...perhaps that's part of why I'm not interested. I like my private life to be private and I don't like the idea that my life could be viewed by the whole world. If I have something to say to friends or photos to share, I send email directly to my friends - not the whole world.
  11. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think it's weird to be regarded as suspicious...I had Twitter, but it seemed pointless for me to write such short messages, because that's not my style. As for Facebook, I barely ever use it, since no one talks to me on there anyway. I don't even need a cell phone for that matter, because no one contacts me. Besides that, I like having some privacy, instead of seeing pics or posts I had on Facebook put onto other sites. I've seen it done before and it's bothersome.
  12. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

i guess im suspicious
  13. justMe7

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing inheritantly wrong with facebook. I love communication, and everything free that comes with it.

But group mentalities are so dangerous and amazing. Sometimes they don't realize that their step forward is ignoring or forgetting foundations that were the foundations for their creation. All I was trying to get at is, social mentality today seems to be disconnected in areas. Then in this isolated pockets they make stupid and dangerous statments like "it's suspicious to not have a facebook or twitter account". That sort of opinon goes against the freedom and in truth liberation that these systems offer people. Twisting a benifit to insert a thought process that wouldn't be there is completely irresponsible.

Again.. just more of a rant, and the article is weak. But I worry sometimes about how things are moving if it's socially awkward to not have one. There will never be a time where not participating in something like this is tactfully acceptable to define someone as being suspicous. If it ever is accepted then ... well that's massive as far as problems are concerned.

Funny how people tend to shoot themselves in the foot and groups are oh so prepared to "tackle" these problems. Stupid snowball effects.
  14. Crimson Tears

Crimson Tears Active Member

Facebook is just a piece of shit, got sick of it. Couldn't stand seeing so much garbage being posted by everyone i knew.

It was like they wanted everyone to know what they were doing every minute of the day for some reason. All you ever saw was: Hey look I'm cool "I'm in town"
    Hey look I'm cool "I'm watching so and so movie"
    Hey look I'm cool "look at my dinner"
    Hey look I'm cool "look at my shoe collection"
    Hey look I'm cool "I'm out clubbing"
    Hey look I'm cool "I just pulled"
    Hey look I'm cool "look at me being cool and trendy"

WTF happened to people actually socializing with each other? If you ever do see them socializing on there, you were lucky if they could put a coherent sentence together that made sense.
    My Space was the best social network site i ever used, at least on that you could actually make friends and have intelligent conversations with various people from all walks of life without them trying to be "cool and trendy".
    It's like everyone on Facebook wants to be some kinda celebrity and be "cool and trendy" just so that people will give them attention.
  15. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My wife does not have a Facebook and she does not want one. She does not get on the computer much other than to handle accounting for our company and to occasionally check email or to converse by email with one of her relatives.

I, on the other hand, need Facebook as it is unfortunately a very powerful tool in business. I don't see things on there from friends that offend me, however, I don't think my friends would be offensive types. I do pick and choose who I know. I also don't have anything to hide and those who want information are going to gain it anyways from many other sources, so I'm not too concerned. Let people know what I'm up to... good for them if they're that interested. That said, I'm careful about what I say or post.

I like to make a living, so using Facebook as a tool in business makes sense to me. On the flip side, my wife does not use it at all and it does not mean there is anything wrong with her. I would say that if a business does not utilize the power of it in marketing, then they're missing out on potential exposure, which translates into revenue.
  16. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I was on Facebook one time, and it wanted me to pay actual money for buying "friends" drink icons. It also broke into my online account, so I canceled it right away. I hope that Facebook, Twitter and the like will soon pass away as nothing more than fads. I want nothing to do with Facefuck.
  17. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Just another media frenzied fad in my eyes.

Yes ok, so I have a FB and a twitter account. It's my personal choice and no doubt most of you would respect that, as much as I respect those who don't. I can see where the potential for marginalisation can come from, or disconnecting from majority of society, but really, those who live their lives online should give a re-think.

I mean, I'm old enough to remember playing outside with friends, getting exercise and meeting up with new people via school/friends of friends etc, and I remember how carefree and fun that was. The use of online 'social-networking' sites has been marketed to a wide audience, some use for business (why not use the power of it?), some use it to share each tiny pocket of their life, some use it just to do basics such as re-connect with family who are at a distance unreachable (I have family abroad, or even in the UK, that I can't get to because I don't drive and don't earn a fortune, so where would that problem be?)

But now for people to deem it suspicious because people don't have one, that is bordering on ridiculous. My mum gets by without either.
  18. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Exactly. Just like most things, it is only as good or as bad as what you yourself make of it. I sort of hate Facebook, yet at the same time I realize it's full potential when utilized to my advantage and so I use it to that end, as I would any tool. A hammer, as a for instance, can hurt your thumb it you strike it with... but if used properly, it can drive nails and build or repair. The hammer, like any tool available to us, is only as good as the application that we apply it to.
  19. HarleyTwin

HarleyTwin Staff Alumni

My Facebook gives me a way to connect with distant family and my Menkes Disease Support Group (from when I lost my nephew from it) it's also a more personal outlet that I can't use on my Twitter.

My Twitter, while slightly personal, it's also for business. I connect with people that I promote on my website, meet their connects through there, etc. I also try to expand my audience to my site through it - so I see as more then just a social networking site (I do see Facebook as such) but it's a professional network to me, and many others as well.

Would I think someone else is "suspicious" for not having one or either? Nope. I might tease them about being a little "weird" and behind the times since even my grandparents have one, but it's not serious. Lol. I still like phone calls, and I love love love visits from my family when they happen occasionally. About once a year...each. And being's really my only connection out into the word with any hope of a social life other than picking up the whitepages and dialing random strangers in hope to strike up conversations (and further hope I didn't stumble across an unsafe person who likes to quote that Anthony Hopkins movie...). ;) Cause it's the closest I'll get other than talking to my mom and dad face-to-face.
  20. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've got Facebook, but I'm extremely careful what I post because I value my privacy. Yeah, there are privacy settings, but I only post the most basic of info, things that I don't care if the world knows. And if FB ever tried to force me into giving my phone number, I'd deactivate my account because there's no way that's happening.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.