Not Real

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Evan1, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Evan1

Evan1 Member

Often, I'll feel that everything around me is not real. I'll just be working on something, spacing out, or even listening to someone talk and then suddenly its like my heart beats faster and its gets a little harder to breath, but not to the point where i'm panicking. It normally starts with this one question in my head which is "Where am I?" I'll feel really detached from my body and everything'll be really foggy and numb. Kinda like i'm watching my life through a movie screen. This will for last for hours and happens almost everyday. It makes it extremely hard to concentrate and its really affecting my ability to pay attention in school. Does anyone know how I can deal with this and what to do when it happens?

2. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I can't really suggest anything because it's never happened to me, but I'm sure someone on the forum can help you out. Sounds like a scary situation to be in though. xx

Brian777 and Evan1 like this.
  3. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Evan, what you describe sounds like the symptoms of an anxiety attack.....derealization and or depersonalization.
    If you google them it will give you some insight on what they feel like. I would suggest getting checked out by an MD to rule out physical problems. If it's what I think, it's actually quite common and not very pleasant, either way your doctor or therapist should be able to treat you. Take care
    Btw I've experienced both of these in the past and they are quite disconcerting.
    Brian

Evan1 and Frances M like this.
  4. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Well-Known Member

It happens to me when I'm feeling really bad. It's such a scary symptom. The standard suggestion is a grounding technique like taking a cold shower, focusing on a single object, or otherwise utilizing your senses to convince your brain that yes, everything is still real. Derealization is also usually not something that happens on its own. It typically occurs as part of a panic attack or other spike in emotion, like Brian said. I know you said it seems to just "happen" but it may be worth it to examine what, if anything, is leading to this feeling so you can be on the lookout for when it comes and deescalate the situation before it gets to that point.

Brian777, Evan1 and Frances M like this.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I had that happen to me a lot when I was in school, and it still happens sometimes. Feels really weird, like you are present and not there at the same time. I just try to keep calm, to distract myself somehow, and realize the feeling will pass.

Brian777 and Evan1 like this.
  6. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

It's likely depersonalization, derealization, or dissociation. All can be disorders on their own, but are frequently symptoms of anxiety, depression, or certain personality disorders. Everyone experiences them to a small degree, but those of us with anxiety, depression, etc experience it more frequently.

Evan1 likes this.