Not so sure, wanted a second opinion.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Forthias, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forthias

    Forthias New Member

    Here goes. Never done this before, never told anyone (or had anyone close enpugh to tell) so I'm just going to dump out the entire situation here.

    First off, I'm 23 years old. Decided to give college a shot, after spending 6 months living in my car (live in the US and the area I grew up in has been devistated by the recession.) My parents didn't seem to care, had an apartment for a time and ended up catching my fience of 4 years with one of our friends after work. According to her I had changed. This would probably be because two of my best friends had died in a car accident, and I essentially had to hold my little sister as she died after being struck by a drunk driver, all within a year.

    Spent the next year looking for a different job after moving back in with my mother, never found one, and eventually ended up homeless. After starting college I moved into student housing, obviously, and everything was fine for almost 2 years. Now, because of an error the school has made, this will be my last quarter with no degree and almost $100,000 in loans. I'm really trying to find another way out, but I'm really starting to scare myself. If I move back home, I'm just going to be homeless again. Plus, part of the loans are under my fathers name, and he has no way of paying them.

    I'm having a really difficult time trying to find another logical wat out of this.
  2. spidy

    spidy Well-Known Member

    First of all are you getting any sort of help like therapy etc as youve been through a pretty rough time and thats a big deal to get through.If the school has made a stuff up is there anyway of proving this and then have them reconsider just trying to find out bit more of your situation.youve done great by reaching out here as you find lots of support.
  3. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    Pnone the government phone number on the student loan and let know what is happening the will give you a forgiveness time without interest to try to get a job talk to them okay I am so sorry you lost your friends and you sister hu n I hope you get into some therapy to help you cope with all that pain you must be in hugs
  4. Forthias

    Forthias New Member

    Thanks, guys.

    Essentially what happened with my school was that the major I was studying for went downhill really quickly (graduating hire rate went from around 80% to 15% in one quarter) so I wanted to switch majors.

    After 2 quarters of taking classes outside my major they informed me they wouldnt change it. Professional therapy isn't really feasable, as I'm unemployed and don't have a source to be able to pay for it. :(

    Thanks, again, though. Its nice just to have somebody there to listen. Havnt had that in a while.
  5. spidy

    spidy Well-Known Member

    I m not sure how your medical system works where you are i know over here if your doc gives you a recommendation for a therapist or councillor etc there is funding for that but not how it works where you are i dont know
  6. Forthias

    Forthias New Member

    No, in the U.S. you pay for everything out of pocket, no exceptions, unless you have some type of insurance. Basically the only way I can get the state to pay for something like that is if I get somebody pregnant.
  7. pickwithaustin

    pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

    Actually you may not have full information on this. I work in the mental health sector that is funded by the government and fees are based on a sliding scale (zero cost in many cases). There is also programs such as medicaid, CHIPS, and others (your state will have various programs, most all do). You need to do some research and the leg work and you may wait longer sometimes than someone who is private pay or insured, but definitely there are programs that ANYONE can qualify for in your situation. I can state that for a fact.

    On to the school. I'm not sure what the situation with that is, but have you set up an appointment with the school to resolve the issue? If that doesn't work, escalate it all the way up to the Dean if you have to. Perhaps change your major to fit what you have taken? Also, as suggested, call the loan number and discuss with the lending source (government). I have found in life that there is always a solution, though often it requires a lot of B.S. and fighting... unfortunate, but true.

    On the medical front, there IS coverage for you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  8. Forthias

    Forthias New Member

    I wasn't aware of the medical stuff, I'll have to look into it. And, the Dean is the one that denied it. Their basically forcing me to graduate with a useless degree or drop out.
  9. bman2700

    bman2700 New Member

    Well I would have to agree with the other people here saying that therapy would be pretty good for you and overall I think really help out if not that just find someone to talk to. Believe it or not that works a lot too. If you just need to vent or anything I got your back man. Hang in there those loans will drive ya nuts and I know it seems like theirs no way out but their is and im sure youl find it eventually. Have some faith itl all turn out for the best and keep your head up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.