Not Stopping Someone

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Forgotten_Man, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

So ever since I became suicidal I have believed that if someone wanted to kill themself, it is not my place to stop them. This is a personal choice and it is no more my right stop them then it is my right to stop someone from eating or spawning. Yet everyone looks down on me as an uncaring individual for feeling this way. Why does everything thing that my view is wrong?

2. PBandJ

PBandJ Member

I think it's wrong because of how many people suicide tends to hurt.. but in the end of course it's their choice

3. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I of course agree with you, and those who have talked with me on here know that I take a somewhat "radical" position on the issue. Although I support encouraging people to reconsider their decision (which is what SF is about), I believe it is morally reprehensible to forcibly prevent someone from dying who wishes to die. Taken to its logical extreme, it's one of the worst things you can do to a person.

It's an odd fact that suicide is not (in most of the English-speaking world) a crime, but assisting in it and failing to prevent it both are. It's the only act I know of that has this bewildering property.

4. th3silent0ne

th3silent0ne Well-Known Member

As much as we all hate the idea of someone commiting suicide, I know it would be selfish of me to stop them. I mean if they have a good reason, why try to keep them in pain? I know what it feels like to be in their shoes (suicidal). Most people don't know what it feels like, so they are automaticly against it. It isn't uncaring to not stop them. It just shows that you understand them.

5. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

This is an interesting premise. On the one hand, it is their decision entirely, and someone doesn't necessarily have an obligation to get them to change their mind. But on the other, they may either be in a depressed/irrational mindset, or actually wanting someone to reach to try and help/stop them. Personally, I would try to help them, but I wouldn't force myself on them if they had made their decision with a level head, and not out of desperation. It can be hard to know the difference, and it is ultimately their decision.

Still, I will continue to try and change SF members minds, because I am pro-life and think that every life is valuable, and should be saved.

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree with Tobes!!

7. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

@PBandJ: What if a person can prove that no one would be hurt by them committing suicide?

@FourthDerivative: Yeah I do find it interesting that not stopping a suicide is a crime. Does that mean if I admit I want to kill myself to someone, they are responsible if I succeed? What level of secrecy does one have to have to insure that no one will be legally effect

@Tobes:Negative feelings are just as valid as positive ones. Is someone wrong to donate lots of stuff just because they are feeling generous? Or maybe someone feels accomplished are they wrong in rewarding themselves? All of our decisions are influenced by emotion. Can we really say anyone makes a level headed decision these days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.