1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not sure how to ask for help

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by triggs, Jun 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triggs

    triggs Account Closed

    i've never seen a therapist
    apart from a counsellor at my old school
    when they found out i was cutting
    i think i was about 13 or 14, i'm not sure.
    i don't really know if i need one
    but i just hate not having anyone to talk to
    nobody who understands
    (apart from on here, but i'm new so i don't know anyone).
    i've been self harming for about seven years..
    since i was in my last year of primary school
    and i want to stop
    i know i should, and it's affecting my relationships
    and general every-day life, because sometimes it's all i think about.
    i just don't think i can do it without help
    i'm not strong enough.
    should i try and see a therapist? someone who can help me?
    i'm really not sure how to go about asking for help
    i don't know if my parents know i still self-harm
    and i don't know if i want them knowing like they did last time.
    i'm 18, so do my parents need to know?
    sorry for this
    i'm just really confused about all of this.
    help would be appreciated, thanks.

    laura x
  2. Sadeyes

    Sadeyes Staff Alumni

    There are many things you can tell your parents until you want to discuss your self-harming with them; the most important factor is to be honest with the therapist so that s/he can help you. Do what you have to so that you get the services you need. The therapist can help you find a way to talk to your parents...big hugs, J
  3. triggs

    triggs Account Closed

    thanks for the reply Sadeyes,
    i don't really know how to go about getting a therapist though? do i talk to my doctor?
    i'm not that close to my parents, not really, so it's hard to talk about stuff like this
    but i think i prefer it that way - sort of like keeping my privacy because i don't really have any in other respects. like keeping this away from them sort of helps?

    does anyone here have a therapist that they've gone to voluntarily, rather than been told they should go to one?
  4. Sadeyes

    Sadeyes Staff Alumni

    Talking to your doctor is a great idea...tell him/her what you are concerned about and s/he will refer you further...best of luck, J
  5. snowraven

    snowraven Well-Known Member

    The fact that you are reaching out for help in this is a positive step and not something you need to be sorry about. There are many people here who self harm so you should be able to find someone who understands just what you are going through. Other than that Sadeyes has given you the best advice you could have. Talk to your doctor and be as open and honest with them as you can be. Best wishes.
  6. triggs

    triggs Account Closed

    thank you both
    this has helped a lot :)
  7. fromthatshow

    fromthatshow Staff Alumni SF Supporter

    He triggs. Yes Sadeyes gave some good advice. I hope you can find a good counselor soon. And as far as not knowing anyone here, just keep coming back, keep posting. There's a lot of frequenters and you'll start to get to know people. If you ever want to talk, my pm box is always open :pm:

  8. Stranger1

    Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

    Hey Laura,
    You can also call your hospital and ask for someone in mental health.. They can refer you to a therapist also.. Don't get to discouraged if you don't click with the therapist just move on and find another one.. It took three before I found Gina and I have been seeing her for four years.. She is great and she talks to you on level ground she doesn't get all technical with you..I'm sure you will find the help you are seeking and staying with the forum will also give you the support and advice you need..Take care!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.