Not sure how to handle this anymore..

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by ZombiePringle, Mar 14, 2010.

1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Lately my fiance has developed kind of an addiction to the internet. Ever since we got our second computer she is basically on it from the time she wakes up until she falls asleep. In a way it seems she would rather talk to all her friends on there instead of paying much attention to me. One person in particular is a guy she met from the RP site I introduced her to and he just happens to be from another state. Its not just talking to him on the computer she also makes phone calls to him.

The times she actually pays attention to me she does try to be super nice and lovey...but all this computer time and talking to this guy have really put a huge strain on our delicate relationship. In all reality she is the only friend I have in real life and with her ignoring me all the time its really pushing me to the edge. Its been a common site for me to look up and see her just sitting there laughing at what these other people are saying to her while she has her headphones on blocking out everything else around her.

I have tried talking to her about getting off the computer many times. Have even asked her to come do something with me like a video game or something... but its always the same response "I don't feel like it... And I just found some new music on youtube"

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Have you managed to sit down and talk to her about how you feel about it? Maybe find out why she does spend so much time on it?

3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Get her into World of Warcraft. At least that way you can stalk her when she's flirting with that Blood elf... after she leaves, jump out of the bush and kill the blood elf and loot him and do the mc hammer dance. See all the profits there? and unlike life, killing a player character in WoW earns you honor points to buy that sweet epic sword...:lol!:

4. ZombiePringle

Yeah I've talked to her. Its always different excuses.

5. ZombiePringle

:lol!: possibly... Have been considering buying WoW. She just started playing guild wars.. does that count :laugh:

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Do you think she actually hears how you feel?

7. ZombiePringle

Not likely.. She has developed a pretty selfish attitude lately. about 90% of everything she does or says is because she only cares about how it will effect her.

8. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

That makes a person very, very hard to live with. Did anything happen around the time that things changed?

Also, have you told her you think she is being selfish? It sounds like she needs a bit of a reality check that a, her behaviour is affecting you, and b, there are other people in the world besides her.

9. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I did play Guild Wars, but left after they nerfed the monk exploit... lol I was able to solo lots of mobs without dying! And guild wars felt so lonely... cause it's not a true mmo

Definitely get WoW! it's a blast! Blizzard knows how to make nice events!
    and there's like 10 millions players. You can give it a try! they have a 10days free trials on their website!

10. ZombiePringle

I have kind of learned with her that when she starts getting selfish about stuff that its best to let her come to the realization. If she is confronted about it she will just get all mad and just start dissappearing on the weekends again. I guess in a way I would rather have her here so I'm not always alone rather that her taking off and spending every bit of my days off with her friends.

I might consider it. The only thing that has turned me away from WoW in the past is the cost thing. I don't have a lot of money and just don't like the idea of spending a bunch of money every month to play.

11. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I guess then maybe while she is being selfish its important for you to be selfish and look after yourself too.

You sound very lonely. I wonder if maybe getting out, doing some volunteering, or picking up some hobbies or joining support groups might help you meet people and have a better network around you.

12. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

ohhh noes! the internet! ><
    I've been addicted to a few different things on the internet-- often, I'll sink myself down on my computer chair and pretend that nothing in the real world that has been happening- is real... and I'll discover all sorts of things online to devote my time to.
    It's not something that a person can realize easily, I think...
    If you feel that it is a problem; then maybe you need to make more of a fuss about it?

Unless she is the kind of person to give up right away-- if you walked out; she'd probably snap back to reality, right?
    I'm not sure...
    All I know is that any time someone gets upset at me- I immediately want to make it better.
    If she is this kind of person as well, then you need to try a bit of 'tough love' (if that's the right word...)

Your feelings need to get through to her somehow, right?

13. ZombiePringle

The hobby I have picked up lately is more video games online while she is busy on the computer. The problem with trying to go out and meet new people and what not is I have really bad social anxiety. I have tried to put myself out there at work and try to make some friends there but everytime I make plans with somebody there and what not they always end up cancelling or making excuses. One guy in particular I knew he liked video games so I started playing the PS3 online and once I did he decided he didn't want to play the PS3 anymore because a couple other people I work with play the 360 online.

14. ZombiePringle

yeah... I'm not going to lie.. there has been times I have been addicted to internet stuff as well. When she started complaining a little I stopped. I can't just walk out on her. We have a 18 month daughter and I could never bring myself to leaving her behind. I don't think I could leave my fiance either. would be too painful for me I think. The one thing I could do is just stop paying for the computer...which I don't want to do. if it does get too out of hand I might do that just so she gets that reality check so to speak.