Not sure if this is the right place to post...but what the fuck?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by jameslyons, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Is drinking a benefit to how you generally feel or a negative. I ask because while I know that alcohol is a depressant, I can't think of how often it's saved me from doing something stupid.

So why are people so hard on drinking by yourself? I mean it's like drinking in a party is cool, but drinking by yourself isn't. I don't understand. It's not like drinking at 8 in the morning (I'm 8 hours behind most of you fine folks), it's night. No harm. Just drinking and being happy.

But not really drunk. Just having a good time.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hello James,

Personally drinking has always made me more depressed and suicidal. Which is why I have now given up. I think you have to be in a stable state of mind for it.
    As for drinking alone, I always liked drinking alone but it did have negative consequences which I'd rather not say :)

3. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Drinking alone is bad for me. Drinking with others is usually fun, well at least until I have to come home alone again. But I don't think drinking is what actually influences how I feel. It's more that whenever I'm alone I think about all the crap that is wrong.

4. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I drink by myself and most of the time it helps me out. Clears out some cobwebs in my head and lets me relax more than usual.

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I guess if you have a drink or two by yourself then its ok, but if you drink a case of beer, then you have a drinking problem. :burp:

6. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I'm with John

Drinking helps me calm down. Relax, then go to sleep. God help you if you drink too much red wine, though.

I understand that it's a depressant and will eventually make you feel more blue, but sometimes in moderation it's a lifesaver. My anxiety and self-harming compulsions fade away when slightly tipsy.

But hopefully it won't come out to a carton of beer a day. That may be slightly over the top :burp: :eek:utcold:

james.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I am a recovering alcoholic who use to drink a twelve pack everynight and a case on Saturday and a case on sunday. I quit several years ago and have been doing fine until this new years. I bought a bottle of whiskey and figured I would get drunk one last time because I had set my date to commit for New Years Eve, only problem was I started to early and passed out because I haven't drank in years. I am going to go back into the hospital instead. Part of the reason I quit drinking was because I was drinking by my self which they say is not good. Whoever they are!! Anyhow the New Years experience made the deciding factor that I would seek help one more time.~Joseph~

8. icerain

icerain Well-Known Member

a couple of drinks can help you and clear your head, help you relax; so if you want to, go for it. if it starts to get out of hand and you become depressed or start hurting from it, then send a message that you would like some help.
    coming from a family of alcoholics, it is only that person who can deem him/herself and alcoholic. there is no acurate calculation to say that anyone is an alcoholic...and it does not matter what time of day it is...

9. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

For me, I find that drinking doesn't change my mood, it just enhances whatever mood I'm currently in. For instance, If i'm feeling happy when I start drinking, alcohol makes me happier. If I'm feeling depressed, then alcohol makes it worse, and if I'm feeling angry.........
    then you'd better run for cover and hide cause the shits about to hit the fan :eek:hmy:

10. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

When I drink, I'm happier, more relaxed, and my ever-present anxiety finally takes a break. I sleep better, too.

I prefer to drink alone. I get nervous if I drink around other people; I worry I'll say or do something stupid. Alone, I can enjoy the feeling with impunity.

Yeah, I think I'm quickly becoming an alcoholic, which is pretty sad considering I just had my first drink a month ago.

11. I'm with Alex on this one, alcohol just amplifies my mood, whatever it might be at the time. For that reason I generally don't drink at all, because I'm just not in a good mood that often. I think that if it helps you though, go for it, just be careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.